Re: football

  • Steve Reiss
    Message 1 of 1 , May 31 12:28 PM
      One of the 16 desires is honor, which connects people
      to their heritage. In "Why My Father Was a Mets'
      Fan," I addressed the puzzling question of why people
      root for a loser. My father stuck with the Mets in
      the 1960s, even though it was a rare day when they won
      a game. They were so hopeless that we rooted for the
      opposing pitcher to walk our players. Routine fly
      balls were an adventure for the outfielders. The Mets
      often contended for 9th place in a field of 10, and
      they only missed their mark by one place in most
      years. Then they won the World Series. As the NY
      Times quoted an astounded New Yorker, "First we landed
      a man on the moon. Then the 7:40 Long Island RR made
      it to the city on time. Now the Mets are in the
      Series!"

      http://fifaworldcup.yahoo.com