Re: [evol-psych] Re: Something in the Way She Smells

  • Irwin Silverman
    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 2, 2002
      On Mon, 1 Apr 2002, Tuulikki Tuominen wrote:

      > ... From whose point
      > of view "receptive manner" is determined? Can it be specified without
      > cultural, social or ethical premises?

      It is an essential part of the definition and job description of
      the scientist to separate her research from her, "cultural, social or
      ethical premises," i.e. personal politics. The assertion that this cannot
      be accomplished in entirety, true or otherwise, is not a rationale for
      ceasing to try, and certainly not for deliberately merging the two, which
      inevitably leads to the detriment of both the science and democratic social
      values.

      Best

      I.S.
    • Tuulikki Tuominen
      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 3, 2002
        On Tue, 2 Apr 2002, Irwin Silverman wrote:

        >It is an essential part of the definition and job description of the
        >scientist to separate her research from her, "cultural, social or
        >ethical premises," i.e. personal politics. The assertion that this
        >cannot be accomplished in entirety, true or otherwise, is not a
        >rationale for ceasing to try, and certainly not for deliberately
        >merging the two, which inevitably leads to the detriment of both the
        >science and democratic social values.

        I agree with you on that recognizing one's premises makes for a good
        research. That is why it is important to try to identify the
        assumptions we are relying on. I believe that we cannot ever get rid
        of them, because we cannot get out of our experience. We use concepts
        derived from social world, construct relations for them and test if
        these constructs fit our experience. As we are seeking for truth, we
        should be willing to create a context that favors exposing any bias,
        whether in data gathering, description or interpretation of data.

        But I also believe that I haven't found the ultimate truth :) So, I'm
        very pleased if you give your time to share your experience with me
        in further discussion - but perhaps not on this list.

        Best wishes,
        Tuulikki Tuominen
        University of Oulu
        Finland

        Reference:

        Longino, H. in Shrader-Frechette, K. Ethics of Scientific Research.
        Lanham, Md.: Rowman & Littlefield, 1994.