3D brain mappers scan thousands

  • Ian Pitchford
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 6, 2001
      BBC NEWS ONLINE
      Thursday, 6 December, 2001, 15:21 GMT
      3D brain mappers scan thousands

      Human brains are as varied as faces
      By Maggie Shiels in California

      A group of brain cartographers is creating the most detailed and sophisticated
      computer atlas of the human brain ever assembled.

      "One of the things we have begun to learn from this map is that there are
      trends or patterns to brains that allow one to be sensitive to schizophrenia or
      Alzheimer's" Arthur Toga, UCLA

      When the $15m (£10.6m) project is completed, the map will display the brain's
      anatomy and models of how it functions.

      "We don't understand the human brain in great detail yet," said Arthur Toga,
      director of the Laboratory of Neuro Imaging at the University of California in
      Los Angeles (UCLA), US.

      "The objective is to try to create a map that describes not only the brain's
      structure but its functions in a comprehensive way," he told BBC News Online.

      "We also have to understand how different brains are across individuals, so
      that for example we can know when they are pathological versus when they are
      normal," he said.

      Full text
      http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/sci/tech/newsid_1694000/1694173.stm