  • Bjoern Brembs
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 1 12:56 AM
      Dear all,

      it is my great honor to announce that the focus session of this year's Winter Conference on Animal Learning and Behavior will be on one of my key research interests, the commonalities and differences between operant and classical conditioning (see announcement below).

      Hope to see you there!

      The *Winter Conference on Animal Learning and Behavior* will convene in Winter Park, Colorado from Saturday evening, February 8, with departure Wednesday morning, February 12, 2014.If you are interested in attending WCALB 2014, please send your small *refundable* deposit by *October 21, 2013* so we know how many condominiums to reserve. See "*DEPOSITS*" section below.

      "Pavlovian and Skinnerian Processes are Genetically Separable"
      Björn Brembs, Universität Regensburg

      Abstract--The commonalities and differences between operant and classical conditioning have been debated ever since Skinner and Konorski embarked on their epic exchange about "two types of conditioned reflex and a pseudo type" in the 1930s. New techniques that surmount experimental design problems identified in early research allow for a much improved separation of the two types of conditioning. These technical advances, combined with modern genetic manipulations, provide evidence that Pavlovian and Skinnerian processes separate not between the learning procedure (operant vs. classical), but between learning content (self vs. non-self). The picture emerging today reinforces Skinner's early insight that operant conditioning is a composite situation, comprised of a 'Pavlovian' component (learning about stimuli - 'world-learning') and a 'Skinnerian' component (learning about the consequences of actions - 'self-learning'). A research program that distinguished these processes genetically is described.***

      *Björn Brembs *is Professor of Neurogenetics at Universität Regensburg.He obtained his doctorate in genetics and neurobiology from Universität Würzburg and has done post-doctoral research at the University of Texas Houston Health Science Center.Thematically, Dr. Brembs’ research concerns the general organization of behavior with regards to reward and punishment with the objective of better understanding how brains accomplish adaptive behavioral choice.

      "Operant and Classical Learning: Comparisons and Interactions"

      *Allen Neuringer*,*Peter Killeen*,*Jeremie Jozefowiez* (Université Lille
      Nord de France), *Michael Commons, Karen Pryor* and *Stanley Weiss* have
      already joined the Focus Session. The format is presentations (up to
      25-minutes) with extended discussion among participants in a Research
      Seminar Session. Additional qualified participants can be added.Let me
      (sweiss@...) know if you would like to join this session.

      The Winter Conference is a friendly and informal meeting that provides an opportunity to combine intensive, scientifically rigorous discussions -- related to animal conditioning, behavior and learning -- with skiing at one of Colorado's premier ski areas, Winter Park. See website (http://www.american.edu/cas/psychology/wcalb/index.cfm) for breadth of WCALB paper sessions that reflect participants’ research interests. All participants are invited to make a presentation and suggest topics. Graduate students are welcome and can present with their advisor's endorsement.

      There is downhill skiing for all skill levels, up to black diamond, as well as excellent cross-country skiing in the Arapaho National Forest, Devil's Thumb and Snow Mountain Ranch. The majestic snow-covered Rockies in winter are breathtaking.

      The all inclusive cost for registration, four days in a shared Snowblaze condominium, an opening buffet reception and dinner at a fine Winter Park restaurant is *only *$375/person or $750/couple (couples have their own room, usually with private bath, in a condo). The Snowblaze is located in Winter Park near restaurants and shops. It has an excellent health club with sauna, steam room, hot tub, pool, weight room and handball courts. All units have complete kitchens.

      If available, a *family* can have an entire 2-bedroom condominium unit for $1,125 plus $115 for each person over three. The 2-bedroom units each sleep up to six people if a convertible sofa in the living room is used. All family members are invited to the opening buffet reception, Conference dinner and sessions.

      We will be in the Colorado Rockies just a week before the prime ski season starts. Therefore, condominiums must be reserved early. If you think you would like to attend WCALB 2014, please let me (sweiss@...) know ASAP by e-mail and send your *refundable* (until November 30) deposit ($50 per person, $100 per couple, $200 per family) by *October 21, 2013.*This will help insure a place for you in our limited number of reserved condominiums.Make checks out to Stanley Weiss, WCALB with “WCALB 2014" in the lower left corner. *Final payment is due November 30, 2013*.

      Please send your payment to:

      Stanley Weiss, Convener
      Winter Conference on Animal Learning & Behavior
      Department of Psychology
      Washington, DC 20016

      *We will do our best to include late registrants in the Conference*, but often they have had to pay substantially more for their accommodations because our reserved condominiums were full.Therefore, if you are interested in attending the Conference *let me know soon* and send your refundable (until November 30) deposit. A CALL for presentations will go out to registered participants in early December.If you have any questions or suggestions, contact me at sweiss@....

      I hope to see you in Winter Park!

      Stanley J. Weiss
      Professor of Experimental Psychology Emeritus
      American University
      Washington, D. C. 20016
      Phone: 301-656-3454
      Fax: 202-885-1023