Evidence vs theory in rates of phenotypic and genomic evolution

    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 23, 2013
      Rates of Phenotypic and Genomic Evolution during the Cambrian Explosion
      Current Biology, Available online 12 September 2013, Pages
      Michael S.Y. Lee, Julien Soubrier, Gregory D. Edgecombe
      Molecular and fossil evidence place the origin of cichlid fishes long after Gondwanan rifting
      Matt Friedman, Benjamin P. Keck, Alex Dornburg, Ron I. Eytan, Christopher H. Martin, C. Darrin Hulsey, Peter C. Wainwright, and Thomas J. Near
      Proc. R. Soc. B November 7, 2013 280 20131733; doi:10.1098/rspb.2013.1733 (open access)
      http://rspb.royalsocietypublishing.org/content/280/1770/20131733.abstract.html

      Excerpt: "Our results provide a revised macroevolutionary time scale for [1600 species of] cichlids, imply a role for dispersal in generating the observed geographical distribution of this important model clade and add to a growing debate that questions the dominance of the vicariance paradigm of historical biogeography.

      Kohl, J.V. (2013) Nutrient-dependent/pheromone-controlled adaptive evolution: a model. Socioaffective Neuroscience & Psychology, 3: 20553.

      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 23, 2013
        Molecular and fossil evidence place the origin of cichlid fishes long after Gondwanan rifting
        Matt Friedman, Benjamin P. Keck, Alex Dornburg, Ron I. Eytan, Christopher H. Martin, C. Darrin Hulsey, Peter C. Wainwright, and Thomas J. Near
        Proc. R. Soc. B November 7, 2013 280 20131733; doi:10.1098/rspb.2013.1733 (open access)
        http://rspb.royalsocietypublishing.org/content/280/1770/20131733.abstract.html

        Excerpt: "Our results provide a revised macroevolutionary time scale for [1600 species of] cichlids, imply a role for dispersal in generating the observed geographical distribution of this important model clade and add to a growing debate that questions the dominance of the vicariance paradigm of historical biogeography.

        NEW Conclusion:
        This convergence would seem to signal the end of an era dominated by debates on the relative merits of molecular and fossil data, permitting molecular biologists and palaeontologists to move forward on addressing questions related to the timing of major events underpinning the origin of modern biodiversity.

        My comment: Why would any debate remain between molecular biologists and palaeontologists given the fact that the molecular mechanisms of adaptive evolution are nutrient-dependent and pheromone-controlled (and conserved in species from microbes to man)? Are the palaeontologists thinking in terms of mutaiton-driven evolution?