Gustatory perception is a behavioral predictor for honey bee social behavior

    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 18, 2013
      [subscription required]

      Excerpt: "...studies have shown that gustatory perception is linked to internal energy metabolisms 9, hormonal secretion 18,19 and biogenetic amine pathways 20."

      Excerpt: "Gustatory perception is a behavioral predictor for honey bee social behavior 16. In terms of behavioral development, nest bees with high gustatory perception behaviorally mature fast, and usually forage early in life and prefer to collect pollen 16,17."

      My comment: Anyone with honeybee model organism expertise should be able to tell us more about whether or not this report exemplifies nutrient-dependent pheromone-controlled hormone-organized and hormone-activated adaptive evolution in invertebrates. For example: Organizational and activational effects of hormones on insect behavior clearly suggested it does, and cites a work I co-authored in 1996 in this context: "The development of species-typical and sex-specific adult behaviors in vertebrate animals is influenced by gonadal steroid hormones, non-gonadal hormones, and non-hormonal factors working on the underlying neural circuitry (reviewed in Diamond et al., 1996; Kawata,1995; Schlinger, 1998)." Diamond et al., 1996 is Diamond, Binstock and Kohl. That's how the invertebrate and vertebrate models of adaptive evolution are linked sans mutations.

      I'm not sure where mutations as a substrate for natural selection enter the picture as someone suggested, but perhaps they will tell us, so I can expose them as a fraud who should have stayed quiet or supplied his references.

      Kohl, J.V. (2013) Nutrient-dependent/pheromone-controlled adaptive evolution: a model. Socioaffective Neuroscience & Psychology, 3: 20553.