Re: [evol-psych] Zimmerman: The Joy of Hopelessness

  • Richard Ruquist
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 16, 2013
      In Massachusetts, a supposedly very literate state, I have white young adult relatives who cannot read.
      That problem is not limited to blacks. And yes they resort to the money-making means of the illiterate
      if you know what I mean.
      Richard

      On Mon, Jul 15, 2013 at 11:27 PM, rafonda@... <rafonda@...> wrote:

      Zimmerman

      The Joy of Hopelessness

      Fred Reed, July 15, 2013
      The Zimmerman affair warms the cockles of a curmudgeon´s heart. (I´m not sure what a cockle is, but I want mine to be at the right temperature.) Never have I seen such sprawling, cacophonous, indignant ignorance and frightful stupidity as that being exhibited by the American public. We are doomed.  I am delighted. Curmudgeons love doom.
      Has there ever been such focused inattention as the case has produced? Nothing of importance is noticed, and everything lacking it is. The crucial fact to come out of the whole adventure—crucial, and therefore utterly overlooked--was that  Rachel Jeantel, a prosecution witness and black girl aged nineteen years, can´t read. The grim implication of this fact is confirmed by the illiteracy of tweets from blacks regarding the case. “Ima kill dat dumass cracker be racis.” Here we see as neatly displayed as if in a jewelry box why so many young blacks will go nowhere in the remaining fifty years of their lives. They can´t read, or barely can. In a fading techno-industrial civilization—I use the latter word frivolously—this consigns them to a life on charity. Is this not of more note than who started what?
      No. The educational disaster that will leave Rachel and millions of her confreres in meaningless lives on welfare pales in importance compared to the question: Did Trayvon Martin and Zimmerman have the proper racial attitudes? This is what exercises the vast endocrine boobitry howling with empty-headed rage and self-righteousness.
      Of course racism was involved in the shooting. The prosecution established this beyond doubt. Trayvon referred to Zimmerman as a “creepy-ass cracker,” “cracker” being a highly pejorative term for low-class whites living in decaying trailers in the pine barrens and Everglades of Florida. So Trayvon, a racist, didn´t like white people. So what? Most blacks don´t.
      A measure of the limitless hypocrisy that pervades, that almost constitutes American political life is that Travon´s clear racial hostility—“creepy-ass cracker”—is ignored. Only whites can exhibit racial antagonism. Yet perhaps twice a week on the Drudge Report one encounters cell-phone video of young blacks seriously beating whites because they are white. Here you have to understand that racial attacks are not racial. The local police chief invariably says that race wasn´t involved, when in fact nothing else was, and the papers will speak of “teens.”
      But what persuaded me that humanity really did descend from monkeys, and would do well to ascend back to them, was the public´s near-perfect lack of grasp of anything involved in this national soap opera. From the vacant visages of over-coiffed network babes, from the empty minds and overhanging orbital ridges of anchor men, came a veritable Pacific of incomprehension. I was fascinated. Reasonable behavior is not very amusing.
      For example, from these clouded minds there drizzled drastic drivel to the effect that Zimmerman “profiled” Martin. By this is meant that Zimmerman noticed that Martin closely resembled the young black males who had been burgling homes in the neighborhood, it being the duty of a neighborhood watch to notice exactly this.
      But “profiling,” whatever network marsupials may think they think they mean by it, assuming that they think at all, is not a crime, and Zimmerman was not charged with it. “Following” is not a crime, and Zimmerman was not charged with it. Having attitudes that CNN doesn´t like is not yet a crime. Second-degree murder is a crime, and that, and only that, is what Zimmerman was charged with. The rest is irrelevant.
      As best I could tell, this was far too difficult a concept for the talking heads.
      Or was it? My Mexican wife, having compared the testimony in the trial to what the American media were saying, commented that the latter seemed to be trying to start a race war. Granted, she is not qualified to comment on the case, as she is not an idiot. Despite this debility, she appeared to be on to something.
      Watching as much of the television coverage as I could bear, I saw that Zimmerman was being heavily packaged as guilty—of exactly what not being specified—with the strong implication that should he not be convicted, it would constitute a racially motivated miscarriage of justice. The duty of the jury was not to try him, but to convict him.
      The coverage was so craftedly witless and dishonest that it was easy to suspect a conspiracy. Stupidity beyond a certain point can only be a work of intelligence. It was certainly dangerous behavior. In the cities there are large black populations who get all their news from television. These can easily be incited to violence. In California, someone called Zulu Shabazz, of the New Black Panther Party, is indeed calling for a race war against whites. The strategic brilliance of declaring war on those who grow your food and sign you checks might be lost on Sun Tzu. Oh well.
      I have known people in the media for the forty years in which I pulled my oar in the triremes of print. I can attest that the talking heads do not want to provoke war. They want to display their virtue by engaging in exhibitionism disguised as confession. As a Catholic does not question the divinity of Christ, so a journalist does not question the racial guilt of whites. For everything, probably to include sunspots. It would result in ostracism, and one has to go daily to the news room.
      Zimmerman´s defense was self-defense. How many of those bubbling and fuming indignantly have read Florida´s statue on self-defense? It is online. How many of those emoting about who threw the first punch have read Florida´s case law on the question? For good reasons, it doesn´t matter who punched whom first.
      (You don´t like my looks and spit in my face. I punch you in the nose. You pull a switchblade and lunge at me, whereupon I shoot you dead.  That´s legitimate self-defense, because I believed myself to be in imminent danger of death or serious bodily harm, this being the threshold for use of deadly force. That I threw the first punch doesn´t matter.)
      Anyone of sufficient intelligence—IQ 3 should do it--can see that race relations in America are bad and getting worse. However, to judge by commentary regarding Zimmerman, very few meet this demanding intellectual standard. People achieving a lesser standard, partial sentience perhaps, can see that until blacks    decide to essay literacy, even education, things will stay the same or deteriorate. The latter of course is the assured outcome. Why Mssrs. Jesse and Al don´t point this out to their constituents is, unfortunately, obvious, the purpose of race hustling being to profit the hustler.
      But it isn´t my problem. Being a licensed curmudgeon, I think I´ll go to Tom´s Bar for a cold Tecate and the pleasure of an hour´s morbid reflection.

    • nini

        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 17, 2013
          At 11:27 PM 7/15/2013, rafonda@... wrote:

          Zimmerman

          The Joy of Hopelessness

          Fred Reed, July 15, 2013

          So Trayvon, a racist, didn´t like white people. So what? Most blacks don´t.

          If this  were true.it is with good reason, considering the history of historical and ongoing white treatment of blacks.

          A measure of the limitless hypocrisy that pervades, that almost constitutes American political life is that Travon´s clear racial hostility "creepy-ass cracker" is ignored..

          This is not spelled correctly. It is "Cracka", and it refers to whites who treat blacks with disrespect and cruelty.

          .
          >Has there ever been such focused inattention as the case has produced? Nothing of importance is noticed, and everything lacking it is. The crucial fact to come out of the whole adventure—crucial, and therefore utterly overlooked---was that  Rachel Jeantel, a prosecution witness and black girl aged nineteen years, can't read. The grim implication of this fact is confirmed by the illiteracy of tweets from blacks regarding the case. "Ima kill dat dumass cracker be racis. Here we see as neatly displayed as if in a jewelry box why so many young blacks will go nowhere in the remaining fifty years of their lives. They can´t read, or barely can. In a fading techno-industrial civilization—I use the latter word frivoolously—this consigns them to a life on charity. Is this not of moree note than who started what?
          No. The educational disaster that will leave Rachel and millions of her confreres in meaningless lives on welfare pales in importance compared to the question: Did Trayvon Martin and Zimmerman have the proper racial attitudes? This is what exercises the vast endocrine boobitry howling with empty-headed rage and self-righteousness.>

          The hypocrisy, sloppiness, bias, and incorrect information of Fred Reed is disappointing.

          Rachael Jeantel CAN read, she just doesn't read cursive. However, she does speak at least 3 languages.

          Could it be that the future prospects of too many young blacks are diminished by the society which profiles them as criminals, illiterate, welfare burdens? A society which pretends they don't exist as potentially positive contributors in our society?

          Zimmerman´s defense was self-defense.

          Reality turned on its head. Zimmerman was the aggressor, the initiator, the carrion eater.

          A child, just turned 17 a few days or so before, was walking home after buying skittles and iced tea. Being 17 is still legally regarded as being a child.

          Trayvon, the child, was followed, stalked, by an adult almost twice his age.

          If Trayvon were your child, what would you want him to do? Run home? he tried, but Zimmerman stayed on his tail.

          Trayvon was probably scared to death. Look at all the children who have been kidnapped, sexually abused, killed, by strangers in the street. Isn't the most likely scenario that Trayvon was wanting to get away from Zimerman? Zimmerman said he asked Trayvon who he was. Why would he do that? Wouldn't you hope your child would get away if possible? We hear so much about adults stalking children, putting them in their cars - isn't it likely that Trayvon was scared of what Zimmerman might be planning?  Do we tell our children to just stand and let strangers do what they like? Wouldn't we want our children to run away or fight to save themselves?

          Trayvon wasn't the aggressor - if we were to apply the "stand your ground" principle, it would be Trayvon who would have been justified to stand his ground, and to use "deadly force" to attack his aggressor, Zimmerman.

          Zimmerman had an agenda - and a gun, and had made many, many calls complaining about Trayvon's race, (profiling) and identifying Trayvon with "others" who had been burglarizing in the neighbourhood. But Trayvon wasn't seen doing anything suspicious, except walking home.

          For those who say Trayvon should have gone home, be aware that these boys are taught NOT to go home when being tacked/followed/stalked because they might bring the violence home to the rest of the family.

          Zimmerman was told not to follow Trayvon, but he did.

          Zimmerman was a murderous coward. he provoked and scared the child, Trayvon, and then, when Trayvon tried to defend himself, shot him dead in the heart. For what? Looking suspicious? Five more minutes and the police would have been there. They then could have checked out Trayvon, and probably they would have given him a safety escort home - keeping him safe from Zimmerman. Zimmeman's job, as neighbourhood watch, was actually to help Trayvon if he thought there were a problem, and to help him get home, if need be. IIt was not Zimmerman's jpob to become hysterical, make 40 or so phone calls, ignore instruations, so that he escalated what should have been a non-event to a murder - the murder of Trayvon Martin by George Zimmerman.

          Trayvon, the child, was murdered, whatever the hate-filled travesties of the law may pretend.

          Julienne

          Art washes from the soul the dust of everyday life.