Re: [human-ethology] Natural selection does not work in mysterious ways

    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 12, 2013
      Since Facebook is not loading, I will add this here:

      This is how I would link nutrient stress and social stress (via pheromones) to cancer (e.g., via the epigenetic effects of stressors on alternative splicing). That approach can be used to compare nutrient-dependent pheromone-controlled adaptive evolution to mutation-driven evolution and show that mutations do not drive evolution. In cancer cells, for example, we see increased glucose uptake that is not controlled. The inability to control cells with errant metabolic rates can be directly linked to what's happening with the microRNA/messenger RNA balance, which is why developing microRNA markers of disease is becoming popular.

      We are certainly not making very rapid progress using the gene-centric models of the past to treat cancer. So, when you read the book "Mutation-driven evolution" be sure to keep in mind the difference between theory and biological facts.  It doesn't matter to me how you define 'mutation' as long as your intent is not to misrepresent the biological fact that mutations do not cause adaptive evolution; they cause diseases like cancers.

      Kohl, J.V. (2013) Nutrient-dependent/pheromone-controlled adaptive evolution: a model. Socioaffective Neuroscience & Psychology, 3: 20553.