Re: ignoring Darwin's 'conditions of life' [Was News: New book rewrites how evolution was discovered]

  • anonymous_9001
    Message 1 of 20 , Jun 30, 2013
      Another example- Dawkins coined the term "meme" in his book The Selfish Gene. You wouldn't look at his definition and say "oh no, Dawkins was wrong, it's blah blah blah" when he coined the original phrase, would you?
      Message 2 of 20 , Jul 1 2:36 AM
        From the perspective of science, I wouldn't challenge anything Dawkins has indicated, or anything you believe about what he has indicated. It is a waste of time for any scientist to challenge ridiculous theories that do not incorporate any biological facts. Challenges to theory are best left to theorists as has been done for centuries during which ridiculous theories have been 'bandied about.' Eventually the biological facts are accepted and the ridiculous theories are abandoned by all but the most foolish (and typically anonymous) individuals who encourage debate about definitions and other nonsense. Thank you for exemplifying  the most foolish (and typically anonymous) individuals. You're doing a great job of that!

        Kohl, J.V. (2013) Nutrient-dependent/pheromone-controlled adaptive evolution: a model. Socioaffective Neuroscience & Psychology, 3: 20553.

        Message 3 of 20 , Jul 1 3:41 AM
          Nobody denies that pheromones and nutrients play a vital role in the lives and evolution of organisms but they are just one component of metabolism.

          The question is why isolate these two components?

          Organisms are complex, integrated, functional wholes, consisting of many functional parts, all of which are of critical importance for the functioning of the whole. A swallow needs its left wing and its right wing, nutrients, pheromones (and the rest too). Nutrients are critical, so is the rest.

          Message 4 of 20 , Jul 1 5:03 AM
            From: BramH <br.hessels@...> Nutrients are critical, so is the rest.

            JK: Why don't you simply read my latest published work and tell me what's missing? Morphogenesis is clearly nutrient-dependent and pheromone-controlled in all species, and the nutrients metabolize to the pheromones. What is "the rest" that you think is critical? Is it something that you choose to make up, like Stan?

            Kohl, J.V. (2013) Nutrient-dependent/pheromone-controlled adaptive evolution: a model. Socioaffective Neuroscience & Psychology, 3: 20553.

            Nobody denies that pheromones and nutrients play a vital role in the lives and evolution of organisms but they are just one component of metabolism.

            The question is why isolate these two components?

            Organisms are complex, integrated, functional wholes, consisting of many functional parts, all of which are of critical importance for the functioning of the whole. A swallow needs its left wing and its right wing, nutrients, pheromones (and the rest too). Nutrients are critical, so is the rest.

            --- In evolutionary-psychology@yahoogroups.com, james kohl <jvkohl@...> wrote:

            > Darwin did not know what the 'conditions of life' were that enabled Natural Selection. Most people (anonymous fools excepted) have by now realized that his 'conditions of life' are nutrient-dependent and pheromone-controlled. This does not change what Darwin wrote; it explains the involvement of conserved molecular mechanisms that were unknown to him.
            >

            > Your attempt to attribute to me a change in some 'definition' simply shows your lack of intelligence, yet again. 'Environmental conditions' do not automagically enable life. However, nutrients are always required and so is their metabolism to pheromones that control reproduction.
            >

            > James V. Kohl
            > Medical laboratory scientist (ASCP)
            > Independent researcher
            > Kohl, J.V. (2013) Nutrient-dependent/pheromone-controlled adaptive evolution: a model. Socioaffective Neuroscience & Psychology, 3: 20553.
            > Kohl, J.V. (2012) Human pheromones and food odors: epigenetic influences on the socioaffective nature of evolved behaviors. Socioaffective Neuroscience & Psychology, 2: 17338.

          • BramH
            Message 5 of 20 , Jul 1 8:17 AM
              You can't derive function (adaptation) from biochemistry. For that you need natural selection.

              Message 6 of 20 , Jul 1 9:51 AM
                You're doing a great job of entirely missing the point. You can't redefine a term that somebody else invented.

                It doesn't even make any sense in the first place to say that the environment is nutrient-dependent and pheromone-controlled. It's like saying a terrarium or a birdcage is nutrient-dependent and pheromone-controlled.