Re: [evol-psych] News: How men and women cooperate

  • merle lester
    Message 1 of 12 , Jun 26, 2013

       wrong thinking... both co- operate edgar..open your eyes...and re think...merle

      Only Western women don't cooperate with their men...

      It is natural for the man to lead and the woman to cooperate. It's an adaptive behavior honed by millions of years of evolution because it's best for the group and the family...

      Edgar

      On Jun 26, 2013, at 1:01 AM, Robert Karl Stonjek wrote:

      How men and women cooperate

      June 25th, 2013 in Psychology & Psychiatry
      How men and women cooperate(Medical Xpress)—While men tend to match their partners' emotions during mutual cooperation, women may have the opposite response, according to new research.

      Cooperation is essential in any successful romantic relationship, but how men and women experience cooperation emotionally may be quite different, according to new research conducted at the University of Arizona.

      Ashley Randall, a post-doctoral research associate in the UA's John & Doris Norton School of Family and Consumer Sciences and the UA's department of psychiatry, has been interested for some time in how romantic partners' emotions become coordinated with one another. For example, if someone comes home from work in a bad mood we know their partner's mood might plummet as well, but what are the long-term implications of this on their relationship?

      Randall wondered how the act of cooperating, a beneficial relationship process, might impact emotional coordination between partners.

      "Cooperation – having the ability to work things out with your partner, while achieving mutually beneficial outcomes – is so important in relationships, and I wondered what kind of emotional connectivity comes from cooperating with your partner?" she said.

      What she found in her recent study – published in SAGE's Journal of Social and Personal Relationships and featured in the journal's podcast series, Relationship Matters – were surprising gender differences.

      She and her colleagues found that during high mutual levels of cooperation with a romantic partner, men typically experience an "inphase" response to their significant other's emotions. That is, if the woman in the relationship is feeling more positive, the man will feel more positive. If she feels less positive, he will feel less positive.

      On the contrary, it seems women experience more of an "antiphase" pattern during high mutual cooperation. If her partner is feeling more positive, she will tend to feel less positive, and vice versa.

      Take, for example, the following familiar scenario: A woman emerges from a department store fitting room and asks her husband what he thinks of a potential new shirt. He likes it, he says, hoping his time at the mall is nearing an end. So does the woman head straight to the cash register and make the purchase? Probably not. Chances are, her husband's enthusiasm won't be enough; she'll want to try on a few more shirts first.

      Social psychology literature on cooperation tells us that women generally tend to cooperate more, while men often try to avoid conflict. Thus, men might be subconsciously syncing their emotions with their partners' during cooperation in an effort to avoid conflict or reach a speedy resolution,  Randall says.

      If that's the case, it's possible, although Randall's study didn't test for it, that women may pick up on the fact that their partner's agreeability is not entirely authentic. If she suspects he's not really as positive as he seems, or that he has an ulterior motive, she may become less positive herself in an attempt to get at his real feelings and reach a more mutually satisfying resolution, Randall suggests.

      "If you think about a couple that is trying to cooperate with one another, the man might go along and say, 'oh sure, honey, this is great, are we almost done?' whereas the women might say, 'I'm so glad that you're happy, but I just want to talk about this one other thing because I think we're really getting at a resolution,'" Randall said.

      In the end, Randall's results suggest that women may tend to serve as the emotional regulators during cooperation.

      Randall based her findings on an analysis of 44 heterosexual couples who were videotaped having a conversation about their shared lifestyle related to diet and health. The couples were asked to watch the video back and, using a rating dial, provide momentary feedback about how they were feeling emotionally. Researchers analyzed the videos as well as the participants' responses to them.

      Co-authored by the UA's Jesi Post, Rebecca Reed and Emily Butler, the study has implications for better understanding how romantic partners' emotions are connected.

      "Cooperation is something that's invaluable and instrumental in a successful relationship but men and women experience it differently," Randall said. "This research provides another avenue to understanding how partners' emotions can become linked, but future research is needed on how these emotional patterns may ultimately contribute to the longevity, or demise, of the romantic relationship."

      Provided by University of Arizona

      "How men and women cooperate." June 25th, 2013. http://medicalxpress.com/news/2013-06-men-women-cooperate.html

      Posted by
      Robert Karl Stonjek

    • hibbsa
      Message 2 of 12 , Jun 26, 2013
        the vast majority of women are conflicted between wanting the man to take the lead (because they know that most men become slobs when the woman takes over), and wanting to be in control. The majority of women successfully find a way to pull it off as well. Probably because of the inbuilt female intuition which gives her a power to understand man nature, and how to make the best of it within a wider plan (usually to do with a family unit). Women also evolved to want to solve things that way by tending to find men that lead rather sexier.

        --- In evolutionary-psychology@yahoogroups.com, Edgar Owen <edgarowen@...> wrote:

        > Only Western women don't cooperate with their men...
        >
        > It is natural for the man to lead and the woman to cooperate. It's an adaptive behavior honed by millions of years of evolution because it's best for the group and the family...
        >
        > Edgar

        <Snip>
      • Don Zimmerman
        Message 3 of 12 , Jun 26, 2013
          --- In evolutionary-psychology@yahoogroups.com, Edgar Owen <edgarowen@...> wrote:

          > Only Western women don't cooperate with their men...
          >
          > It is natural for the man to lead and the woman to cooperate. It's an adaptive behavior honed by millions of years of evolution because it's best for the group and the family...

          DWZ:
          I assume you would agree that there are enormous numbers of idiotic men populating the nation. Otherwise, so many ignorant politicians could not be elected. And there would not be so much superstition, denial of science, the gun culture, and all those noxious things we see today. So the question arises as to what women in their right minds would want to place themselves under the control of such men and cooperate with them.

          I am not aware of any studies, but I have a suspicion that a large proportion of educated, intelligent men in Western nations would NOT WANT to assume a leadership role in controlling their wives and have the final word in all matters.

          Best regards,

          Donald W. Zimmerman
          Vancouver, BC, Canada
          dwzimm@...
          http://www3.telus.net/public/a7a82899
        • merle lester
          Message 4 of 12 , Jun 26, 2013

             re think...these modern days it's team work...merle

            On 27/06/2013, at 1:23 AM, hibbsa wrote:

[...]

            <*> Your email settings:
               Individual Email | Traditional

            <*> To change settings online go to:
               (Yahoo! ID required)

            <*> To change settings via email:
               evolutionary-psychology-digest@yahoogroups.com
               evolutionary-psychology-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

               http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

          • nini
            Message 5 of 12 , Jun 26, 2013
              This discussion rather reminds me of a 'cartoon' viewed recently; of a 'caveman' dragging a woman off by her hair, thereupon spawning a new discussion group of 'caveman' tactics to be applied towards western women.

              Thank you Don, for pointing out the height of absurdity.

              'Pini

              Since I'll most likely be done with chemo; one way or the other next week, I'm sure you will enjoy the return of my pithy comments.

              On Jun 26, 2013, at 12:39 PM, "Don Zimmerman" <dwzimm@...> wrote:

              --- In evolutionary-psychology@yahoogroups.com, Edgar Owen <edgarowen@...> wrote:

              > Only Western women don't cooperate with their men...
              >
              > It is natural for the man to lead and the woman to cooperate. It's an adaptive behavior honed by millions of years of evolution because it's best for the group and the family...

              DWZ:
              I assume you would agree that there are enormous numbers of idiotic men populating the nation. Otherwise, so many ignorant politicians could not be elected. And there would not be so much superstition, denial of science, the gun culture, and all those noxious things we see today. So the question arises as to what women in their right minds would want to place themselves under the control of such men and cooperate with them.

              I am not aware of any studies, but I have a suspicion that a large proportion of educated, intelligent men in Western nations would NOT WANT to assume a leadership role in controlling their wives and have the final word in all matters.

              Best regards,

              Donald W. Zimmerman
              Vancouver, BC, Canada
              dwzimm@...
              http://www3.telus.net/public/a7a82899

            • Brad
              Message 6 of 12 , Jun 26, 2013

                Swedish feminists called out

                When the Dutch sociologist Geert Hofstede in the 1980s, measured the global differences between the values ​​that people hold – he discovered that men, no matter where in the world, exhibited more extreme behavior than women and that they generally ranged far more than women’s behaviors. From this, he created a metric that also held the extreme, the competitive and dominant in high regards. He called this the value of “masculinity” and found that nations that placed high on this index put value on dignity, honor, the ability to provide for themselves and have the courage to dominate and take charge.
                The place in the world as measured lowest on this scale was Sweden. Sweden has five points, where Denmark has 16. The scale goes up to Japan, which peaks with 95. Based on Hofstede’s studies, one might conclude that these figures only underscore Sweden’s leading position as the most equal country in the world. But you could also draw a different conclusion. Namely that Sweden simply has chosen the other extreme and introduced feminine values ​​such as cultural norms and actively suppressed men’s values.
                Because of the Scandinavian tradition of consensus–which is the strongest in Sweden–in which domination had been deemed as the enemy, both Danish and Swedish men and boys have been suffocated by squabbling, emotional detritus and leveling. The mischievous boys in kindergarten learn that they must sit down and do as they are told, just like the girls. Climb down from the tree and do something civilized and sensible!
                The Scandinavian society is also lost in many ways. Public security, supportive educational activities and victim mentality devalues individual ​​pride and declares pride to be something you should ignore – for there is no reason to be ashamed to be last.
                But maybe it’s good to be ashamed of being unable to support yourself or your family, perhaps honor and shame are not just primitive macho notions. Could it be that the premise of strong individuals that face the world being proud and having self-respect is better instead of looking for a victim category that they fit into and which one can generate more government grants?
                So the desire for competition and ambitions are more male than female, and the same is true in rationality. Fewer men than women believe in astrology and astral healing or put faith in tarot cards to guess their future. Generally, there are fewer religious men because they prefer a logical argument over arguments based on emotion.
                Generally, also more men than women are oriented toward sexual quantity rather than quality, and react more strongly to visual stimuli than women. This also confirms anthropological studies and experiments worldwide. So the new feminist chastity, the New Puritanism and the “image ban” is also in favor of women, not men.
                One can also look for the research made by Hofstede, who concluded that the Scandinavian people, and the Swedes in particular, have learned to downgrade the values that ​​are typically dominant in men, whilst doing nothing or championing the ones in women. If these differences are of biological or cultural origin is meaningless as it only serves to shift the focus from the facts: namely, that there are values ​​that are more male than female.

                June 24, 2013 Lucian Vâlsan

                Brad

                "In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act."

                -- George Orwell

                  Message 8 of 12 , Jun 26, 2013
                    --- In evolutionary-psychology@yahoogroups.com, nini <winyan7@...> wrote:

                    > This discussion rather reminds me of a 'cartoon' viewed recently; of a 'caveman' dragging a woman off by her hair, thereupon spawning a new discussion group of 'caveman' tactics to be applied towards western women.
                    >
                    > Thank you Don, for pointing out the height of absurdity.
                    >
                    > 'Pini
                    >
                    > Since I'll most likely be done with chemo; one way or the other next week, I'm sure you will enjoy the return of my pithy comments.

                    DWZ:
                    Somebody told me a lot of cavemen have been running around in the Texas senate recently and that Wendy Davis made them crawl back into their caves.

                    By all means, keep those pithy comments coming!

                    Message 9 of 12 , Jun 27, 2013
                      Brad,

                      And unfortunately this has serious political consequences like Sweden's definition of 'rape' of which Assange is wanted for question without even having been charged which results in his virtual house arrest in the Ecuadorian embassy in London..

                      Edgar