Re: [evol-psych] Why men are boycotting marriage

  • rafonda@frontier.com
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 25, 2013
      For more, much more, see:

      and their blogrolls. <

      Thanks for those excellent links!

      > The “Manosphere” has “crowdsourced” a true sociology of marriage and women’s “hypergamy”. <

      Since PC has taken total control of academia and media, one can only find original thinking and independent scholarship in such venues as you suggest ... well, maybe some here, though heavily contested and policed by the harpie chorus.

      RAF
    • nini
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 25, 2013
        Actually, imho, (I know, everyone discounts THAT), men and women are doing equally poorly.  The rich are pitting us against each other, and if we fight about the other's roles, it takes our minds off what they are doing to us.

        'pini

        On Tue, Jun 25, 2013 at 12:16 PM, rafonda@... <rafonda@...> wrote:

        For more, much more, see:
        Thanks for those excellent links!

        > The “Manosphere” has “crowdsourced” a true sociology of marriage and women’s “hypergamy”. <

        Since PC has taken total control of academia and media, one can only find original thinking and independent scholarship in such venues as you suggest ... well, maybe some here, though heavily contested and policed by the harpie chorus.

        RAF

      • mark hubey
        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 25, 2013
          Things are changing.

          As you listen to the man talk, say these to yourself in mocking tones :-)

          Me ask questions!
          Me like Socrates! Him sooooo smart!
          Me question authority!
          Me question middle-class values. Me hate middle-class.
          Me rational!
          Me smart!
          Me soooo radical!
          Me do analysis!

          On Tue, Jun 25, 2013 at 12:16 PM, rafonda@... <rafonda@...> wrote:

          For more, much more, see:

          and their blogrolls. <

          Thanks for those excellent links!

          > The “Manosphere” has “crowdsourced” a true sociology of marriage and women’s “hypergamy”. <

          Since PC has taken total control of academia and media, one can only find original thinking and independent scholarship in such venues as you suggest ... well, maybe some here, though heavily contested and policed by the harpie chorus.

          RAF

          Mark Hubey

          "Learning to think in mathematical terms is an essential part of becoming a liberally educated person. "
          -- Kenyon College Math Department Web Page

          Message 4 of 6 , Jun 25, 2013

            This piece starts with a false premise, followed by one after another false premises.

            Actually, we have seen a number of studies posted here showing that it is women who are now avoiding marriage. Further, if they do get married, it is women who are leading the way to ending the marriage in divorce.

            We have also seen the studies suggesting it is men who are stuck in the missionary position - and suffering from "hadaches" once a week.

            We even have Edgar whining about how he doesn't like sweat - which makes one wonder how he manages to have sex - three minute man, perhaps?

            Julienne

            At 03:04 PM 6/24/2013, rafonda@... wrote:

            Been sayin'... though this hardly scratches the surface of how much men stand to lose from marriage.

            RAF

            Going Galt: Why men are boycotting marriage, fatherhood and the American Dream

            Matt K. LewisWomen are doing better than men, and I, for one, welcome our new female overlords!
            Okay, in fairness, I’m the guy who wrote “ The silent war on noncollege-educated white men.” But most observers of this phenomenon have concluded that we just need to “man up.” That is, until now. Dr. Helen Smith’s new book [] , Men on Strike is decidedly different, inasmuch as she argues that if men are checking out of society, it’s only because we are making rational decisions about changing incentives.
            Let’s take marriage [] , for example, where higher-educated women seem to be having a harder and harder time finding men worthy (or willing) to tie the knot. “[T]he incentives to marry have changed for men,” explains Smith, “and they are no longer willing to risk so much more than in previous years to gain potentially less.”
            In the old days, Smith explains, a man might expect to be king of the castle. Now days, she says, he might be relegated to a “man cave” in the basement, and — if lucky — granted missionary position sex once a week. k. Or he becomes, as she told me, “some shlub, carrying around a flowered diaper bag.”
            But if the benefits of marriage have declined for men, the downsides haven’t. Men who marry can expect to pay disproportionately for a divorce, even if the wife cheats. And as Smith points out, sometimes men are on the hook for child support, even after DNA tests prove they aren’t the father.
            “[T]he new world order is a place where men are discriminated against, forced into a hostile environment in school and later in college, and held in contempt by society,” she writes [] . ”Maybe there is no incentive to grow up anymore,” she continues. “It used to be that being a grown-up, responsible man was rewarded with respect, power and deference.” Now, not so much. Making matters worse, men cannot voice frustration. “Men who complain are either wimps or misogynists or both,” she writes.
            During a recent conversation, Smith and I talked about the book, and she weighed-in on some current events. For example, she sided with Erick Erickson and Lou Dobbs in their skirmish with Megyn Kelly on Fox News. You can listen to the streaming audio below or download the podcast on iTunes.

            Read more: http://dailycaller.com/2013/06/21/going-galt-why-men-are-boycotting-marriage-fatherhood-and-the-american-dream/#ixzz2XA5thX67

            "Tolerance becomes a crime when applied to evil". -Thomas Mann