Re: [evol-psych] Re: How Young Genes Become Indispensable

    Message 1 of 53 , Jun 24, 2013
      Don,

      No that is quite impossible since the future does not exist... There can be no backward causality...

      Edgar

      On Jun 23, 2013, at 4:01 PM, Don Zimmerman wrote:

      > --- In evolutionary-psychology@yahoogroups.com, Edgar Owen <edgarowen@...> wrote:
      >
      >> I think that external conditions condition for purpose is an unwarranted sophism. I see no problem at all with the at least theoretical possibility of the universe as a whole having an internal purpose. It certainly has an internal directedness due the fine tuning...
      >>
      >> Whether one defines that as purpose or not seems a matter of arbitrary definition...
      >

      > DWZ:
      > It seems to me that difficulties in explaining "purpose" boil down to the question: How can events in the future modify actions taking place in the present? In order to avoid a mystical reverse causality, it is necessary to apply feedback and control theory, as Norbert Wiener and many other people realized long ago. Essential to that approach is the existence of feedback loops with error signals that make possible gradual "homing in" on predetermined "goals."
      >
      > Objectively considered, "purpose" in not just something emanating from brains. It has to be more than some intelligence dancing about amidst the interior neuronl networks and working with information that is already present. Further information from ever-changing events and successive adaptations to those events on the outside is needed. Especially in the case of interesting human behavior, input from society and culture is crucial for intelligent planning and purpose.
      >
      > Best regards,
      >
      > Donald W. Zimmerman
      > Vancouver, BC, Canada
      > dwzimm@...
      > http://www3.telus.net/public/a7a82899

    • Don Zimmerman
      Message 53 of 53 , Jun 24, 2013
        --- In evolutionary-psychology@yahoogroups.com, Edgar Owen <edgarowen@...> wrote:

        > Only the present actually exists and is real. The past is a logical structure created by people in the present as what they think would have logically caused the present according to the laws of nature as people currently understand them. Thus the present creates the past....

        DWZ:
        Yes, that is true. It is interesting to note that, for that very reason, speculations about time travel are wholly fanciful, because it would be impossible to travel to a place that DOES NOT EXIST, even with the latest and most advanced of time machines!