Re: [evol-psych] Nutrient stress and social stress epigentic effects

  • rafonda@frontier.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 15, 2013
      Once again, I think you are onto something:

      > This represents what we will probably come to know as the most likely cause of colony collapse in honeybees, which is the combination of nutrient stress and social stress that's due to theft of their honey and its replacement with high fructose corn syrup dietary supplements that epigenetically alter differences in the brain of different genetically predisposed castes. <

      I don't think this is the whole story: pesticides, herbicides, 'diesel therapy', mites, viruses, and GMO crops also seem likely culprits. But, I am an organic beekeeper, whose colonies are not subjected to any of those stresses, except mites and the viruses, and I keep a variety that is slightly less productive, but capable of cleaning off mites, thereby reducing virus exposure as well. Still, I lost a hive after I split part of it off last summer and fed sucrose (cane sugar) as a supplement, trying to keep it well fed going into the winter. I gave the original hive its own honey back as a winter supplement and it thrived. I have become dubious about supplements, even cane sugar. From now on I wont split a hive after the spring blooms, and wont feed any supplement except organic honey.

      RAF