Re: [evol-psych] The religion instinct in atheists and non-atheists

  • Nils K.
    Message 1 of 3 , May 13, 2013
      Dear Albert, dear All!

      NKO:
      Taken together, these four elements suggest that Atheists regularly
      demonstrate attributes -- desire for spiritual sustenance, the
      importance of self-identification, offering their worldview as an
      alternative to other religious systems

      AH:
      If we Atheists have all those things ["spiritual sustenance"?],
      maybe "religious" instinct is not the right word for the phenomenon
      you describe.

      NKO:
      If (and when) we dig up plenty remains of a human species being
      hundreds of thousand of years old, we often find traces of their
      religious activities. Even chimps have, according to our primate
      researchers, rudiments of religious emotions. The religion instinct
      is just as certain as other human instincts such as logical reasoning,
      general thinking (need not be learned, comes automatically), fear,
      love at first sight, anger, rage, revenge, laughter, sex, verbal
      violence, physical violence, hatred, etc. Ordinary believers suddenly
      turn into atheists, and atheists (unordinary believers) turn suddenly
      into ordinary believers. Darwin was even at the time he published his
      Origin, an ordinary believer. But he later turned to agnosticism (but
      never became an atheist). As a young man he planned to be a priest.
      A lot of first rate theoretical physicists have turned from atheism
      to religion, suddenly. We have seen the confused R. Dawkins changing
      from atheism to agnosticism during a debate. His large production of
      atheist campaigning is probably a way to defend his own atheist faith
      from his own religion instinct. Suddenly his religion instict may be
      activated. If so happened it would not be an historical surprise at
      all. Such heavy cases have happened before.

      Best,
      NKO