Re: [evol-psych] News: Chimps and bonobos and other primates clearly show empathy with others who are suffering. (Getty Images)

  • merle lester
    Message 1 of 34 , Apr 8, 2013

       many animals have social hierarchies.. ... some are in and some are out of the group..

       e.g.the dominant male gets all the girls...

       so how do those left on the sideline feel and behave?..

      On 09/04/2013, at 2:48 AM, Phil Roberts, Jr. wrote:

      Edgar Owen wrote:

      Of course it is 'because they think they should be' in exactly

      the same sense that humans do. Only difference is they don't express

      it in English..

      Howdy Edgar.

      I'm not quite so certain about this as you appear to be.
      OTOH, I don't think it unreasonable to suppose that a chimp
      would NOT experience feelings of worthlessness when failing
      to live up to some internalized standard of what it means to
      be a chimpanzee.  But I certainly am not claiming to KNOW this.
      It merely seems to follow if my basic premise is correct,
      i.e., that 'feelings of worthlessness' are a maladaptive
      byproduct of the evolution of rationality.

         Any animal whatever, endowed with well-marked social
         instincts, the parental and filial affections being
         here included, would inevitably acquire a moral
         AS WELL DEVELOPED..AS IN MAN (Darwin) [my emphasis]

      Yahoo! Groups Links

      <*> Your email settings:
         Individual Email | Traditional

      <*> To change settings online go to:
         (Yahoo! ID required)

      <*> To change settings via email:

    • clarence_sonny_williams
      Message 34 of 34 , Apr 16, 2013
        No, Phil, I also believe that "limited" is the proper term for what
        animal experiments can reveal about human consciousness (the "feeling"
        of emotions). That is better than what is so often done now: assuming
        the only animal who can speak human language is the only animal with
        consciousness...because he (she) says so.

        --- In evolutionary-psychology@yahoogroups.com, "Phil Roberts, Jr."