News:Sexual assault awareness advocate says rape culture a problem worldwide

  • Robert Karl Stonjek
    Message 1 of 12 , Apr 4, 2013

      Sexual assault awareness advocate says rape culture a problem worldwide

      April 4th, 2013 in Health

      April is Sexual Assault Awareness Month, but Kansas State University's Donna Potts thinks every month should focus on the problem—especially on college campuses throughout the world.

      Potts, professor of English, served on the subcommittee of the American Association of University Professors that drafted a statement on sexual assault. The association's report, adopted in 2012, details the widespread problem of sexual assault on campuses, and includes proposed policies to curb instances of sexual assault and provide greater support to victims of assault. The report also explains current law and proposes an increased faculty role in ending campus sexual assault.

      According to the report, up to 25 percent of females and 4 percent of males on U.S. college campuses are victims of sexual assault. Getting society to recognize the seriousness of the problem and to stop blaming the victim are among the reasons Potts is a strong advocate for sexual assault awareness.

      "It's time to end the culture of rape," she said. "All too often we load potential victims with the entire burden for preventing this crime—which means that they blame themselves when they're raped, whereas their rapists are never made to feel any responsibility for their actions. As a society, we need to teach men to respect women, and we need to work to reduce the level of inequity between males and females, so females who are victims of rape feel that they have a voice."

      When it comes to sexual assault on campus, Potts said people in positions of power are more likely to be perpetrators and that relatively powerless people are the easier targets.

      "We saw recently at Penn State how easy it is for people in positions of power, such as coaches, to target victims, commit serial rape and avoid detection for years," she said.

      But Potts thinks the national reaction to the rapes at Penn State was more extreme because of the victims' sex.

      "For one thing, our society has normalized rapes of postpubescent females, though we have not done so for boys," she said. "If society would muster the same level of horror about a crime directed overwhelmingly at college-age girls, the rape rate would certainly drop. But many people are too busy blaming the victims to make the issue a high priority."

      Another recent high-profile rape case—in Steubenville, Ohio, where two high school football players were convicted of raping a 16-year-old girl—also raises an ugly aspect of the rape culture, Potts said.

      "In the Steubenville case, it was deplorable that so many bystanders simply took pictures on their cellphones and posted them on YouTube or Facebook," she said. "Bystanders have opportunities to change the outcomes for rape victims."

      The culture of rape is not just limited to U.S. college campuses. Potts recently returned from presenting a lecture series on her specialty, Irish literature, at Osmania University and the English and Foreign Languages University in Hyderabad, India. While there, she offered to give a lecture about sexual violence in response to the December 2012 gang rape in New Delhi that made headlines across the world.

      After talking with Indian students, including some who are writing dissertations on rape and rape narratives, Potts found victim blaming was just as common in India as in the U.S. She said she was told it can take years for sexual assault cases to go to trial in India, and that because the country lacks resources to support rape victims, like rape crisis centers, there is a deeper sense of hopelessness about the outcome of pressing charges.

      "Many victims in India—I was given estimates of 14 to 16 percent—respond by committing suicide," Potts said. "Victims are led to believe that their defilements have shamed their families, and because women are regarded as more inferior in India than they are in the U.S., the shame they presumably bring to their families is more likely to outweigh the victims' own sense of personal indignation, rage and suffering."

      Taking every sexual assault report seriously is an important first step, whether in the U.S. or elsewhere in the world, Potts said.

      "If someone tells you she or he has been raped, do not dismiss, discount or trivialize his or her words," she said. "Rape is the only serious crime in which victims' stories are routinely dismissed. For all crimes, there is a tiny percentage of false reports, but it's no higher for rape than anything else. Discounting a rape victim's story is, to the victim, like being raped all over again."

      Potts said she advised the students in India to promote the American Association of University Professors' statement on sexual assault, available at http://www.aaup.org/news/statement-sexual-assault.

      "The AAUP defends academic freedom, and I strongly feel that academic freedom is an impossible dream if we do not heed the large percentage of students who are victims of rape," she said. "If they're silenced when they attempt to report rape, they will never really feel they have a voice in the classroom."

      Potts knows firsthand the power of giving sexual assault victims a voice firsthand.

      "I recall a sullen, silent student in my class who, when we started discussing J.M. Coetzee's novel, 'Disgrace,' which deals with the subject of rape, began talking about her own assault," Potts said. "She was suddenly transformed into an enthusiastic student who was eager to participate in class. And when the course was over, she gave me a beautiful sketch of a lion she'd made. It seemed to be her way of showing her gratitude for finally feeling empowered to talk about what happened to her."

      Provided by Kansas State University

      "Sexual assault awareness advocate says rape culture a problem worldwide." April 4th, 2013. http://medicalxpress.com/news/2013-04-sexual-assault-awareness-advocate-rape.html

      Posted by
      Robert Karl Stonjek

    • Brad
      Message 2 of 12 , Apr 5, 2013
        "Lie: “Rape is one of the biggest problems the western world faces.
        Truth: How do you define what the Western World’s “biggest problem” is? Is rape responsible for widespread fatherlessness? Is rape responsible for the economy tanking? Is rape responsible for the illegal, expensive military actions the U.S. Government took against innocent civilians in Iraq and Afghanistan? Is rape responsible for the erosion of the rights of Americans? Well, in the last case it is, to a degree. Which brings me to the next point:
        Damned Lie: “We live in a rape culture, a culture in which men raping women is considered to be a normal state of affairs, as evidenced by rape jokes.
        Truth: Though I have no evidence to back it up, I think the most commonly-told rape jokes are jokes about prison rape. Men make up the vast majority of prison rape victims (it’s estimated at over 300,000 a year), and have a hard time getting anybody to take them seriously when reporting their own rapes. As for society condoning such behavior against woemen? Bullshit. Just look at the way the Hofstra boys, the Duke Lacrosse team, Julian Assange, and Dominique Strauss-Khan were treated by the media. Recently, the comedian Daniel Tosh allegedly made a rape joke, and masses from all over the internet ganged up on him. A feminist on Tumblr posted a picture of herself with a bandaged hand, which she had injured when she punched a stranger in the face for making a rape joke, not about her, but about a girl across the street; she was never charged with a crime, not even misdemeanor assault.
        In addition to squelching freedom of speech, these feminists are also trying to erase men’s basic constitutional rights. Jessica Valenti, as we all know, has proposed removing a man’s right to presumption of innocence. The Obama Administration, at nearly the exact same time, passed an executive order requiring colleges to punish male students for rape on the basis of “a preponderance of evidence” instead of “guilt beyond a reasonable doubt”, and to forbid such students from speaking in their own defense, being represented by a bar-certified lawyer, or confronting their accuser–all of which are guaranteed by the United States Constitution.
        Statistic: “1 out of every 4 women will be raped in her lifetime.
        Truth: Ah, here’s the doozy. I’m sure we’re all familiar with the source of this statistic: a study by Mary Koss that has been discredited countless times. Around three-quarters of the women she identified as having been raped did not consider themselves victims of rape, and almost half of them had sex with their supposed attackers after the event identified as a rape had occurred.
        So, what do statistics collected from non-feminist sources say? Well, let’s try the FBI statistics. According to an FBI report, which did not account for differing definitions of rape, whether or not the rapes were convicted, or whether or not female-on-male rape was included, the United States had a rate of 29 reported rapes per 100,000 people in 2009. That’s not going to get us to 25%, but I’m feeling generous, so let’s look at the country with the highest rate of rape in the past decade–South Africa, with a rate of 116 rapes per 100,000 people in one year. Percentage wise, this is .1% of the population. Now, I’ll admit that I’m worse at math than anything else in the world, but even I know this isn’t even close to “1 in 4″.
        “But wait!” the feminists are saying, “Most rapes are never reported to the police!” Well, I’ve heard a number of different figures on just how many. Some say 45%, some say 60%, and some even say 80%. But hey, I’m feeling EXTREMELY generous, so despite the fact that feminists are basing these numbers off evidence that is dubious at best, I’ll go with the highest estimate. .1 times 5 is…half of one percent. In other words, one-fiftieth of what feminists claim it is.
        Now, I hear them whining that I missed the key phrase “In their lifetime”. Okay, since empirical data shows that rates of rape drastically decrease after the victim turns 45, whether they are male or female, in prison or out, I’ll just be accounting for a 30-year window. Sorry, feminists, but even my generosity has its limits. I’m not going to pretend that the wackos who rape grannies aren’t extreme outliers. This means that 15% of South African women will be raped in their lifetimes. A grisly figure to be sure, but then again, this is South Africa we’re talking about–it has the second-highest crime rate in the world. The rate of rape in the U.S. is one-quarter of that, so in our most generous of moods, it is correct to say that 3.75% of women will be raped in their lifetimes. I’m puzzled as to how that can be mistaken for 1 in 4.
        So, to summarize: Feminists claim that the rape rate in the U.S. (a reasonably safe country, despite what you see on the news) is significantly higher than the actual percentage in a country with one of the world’s highest rapes of rate. They have inflated actual statistics beyond the point of reporting or gut bias, and have put them on flagrantly dishonest levels, in order to advance their agenda of stripping men of their constitutional rights."

        Written for AVfM by Phil in Utah

        Brad

        "In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act."

        -- George Orwell

          Message 4 of 12 , Apr 5, 2013

            merle writes: "rape is violence.. totally unacceptable and men who rape are the saddest people on this earth as they will probably never understand the meaning of love... how to love.. and to be loved...merle"

            No mention of women, single mothers, teachers who rape young boys and for the most part the sexual actions of these women get only a wrist slap while men who commit the very same crime get a lengthy sentence in jail. This type of crime has become so prevalent that laws are being introduces that will prevent single women from adopting.

            http://www.city-journal.org/2008/18_1_campus_rape.html

            "It’s a lonely job, working the phones at a college rape crisis center. Day after day, you wait for the casualties to show up from the alleged campus rape epidemic—but no one calls. Could this mean that the crisis is overblown? No: it means, according to the campus sexual-assault industry, that the abuse of coeds is worse than anyone had ever imagined. It means that consultants and counselors need more funding to persuade student rape victims to break the silence of their suffering".

              Message 6 of 12 , Apr 7, 2013

                Societal Misandry:

                Circumcision, Divorce and Male Disposability - Paul Elam on Freedomain Radio

                http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_8Ved1maLBk&feature=youtu.be

                Message 7 of 12 , Apr 8, 2013
                  Rape is a serious problem in non-Western countries therefore rape is going to get a lot worse in Western countries. However, it is a relatively low priority, even for those who say it is their top priority. Rape is not a top priority for a single person I have seen commenting on this list, for example.

                  Message 8 of 12 , Apr 8, 2013

                    And rspists are, despite Brad's brainwashing lies, male by a large majority.

                    t 03:46 AM 4/6/2013, merle lester wrote:

                     rephrase ..people who rape!!!!!!!!!!!!!! merle

                    On 06/04/2013, at 3:02 PM, Brad wrote:

                    merle writes: "rape is violence.. totally unacceptable and men who rape are the saddest people on this earth as they will probably never understand the meaning of love... how to love.. and to be loved...merle"

                    No mention of women, single mothers, teachers who rape young boys and for the most part the sexual actions of these women get only a wrist slap while men who commit the very same crime get a lengthy sentence in jail. This type of crime has become so prevalent that laws are being introduces that will prevent single women from adopting.

                    http://www.city-journal.org/2008/18_1_campus_rape.html

                    "It’s a lonely job, working the phones at a college rape crisis center. Day after day, you wait for the casualties to show up from the alleged campus rape epidemic—but no one callls. Could this mean that the crisis is overblown? No: it means, according to the campus sexual-assault industry, that the abuse of coeds is worse than anyone had ever imagined. It means that consultants and counselors need more funding to persuade student rape victims to break the silence of their suffering".

                    Brad

                    "In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act."

                    -- George Orwell

                    rape is violence.. totally unacceptable and men who rape are the saddest people on this earth as they will probably never understand the meaning of love... how to love.. and to be loved...merle

                    "Lie: “Rape is one of the biggest problems the western world faces.

                    "Tolerance becomes a crime when applied to evil". -Thomas Mann

                    Message 9 of 12 , Apr 8, 2013
                      At 12:29 PM 4/7/2013, Brad wrote:

                      Societal Misandry:

                      Circumcision, Divorce and Male Disposability - Paul Elam on Freedomain Radio

                      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_8Ved1maLBk&feature=youtu.be

                      Brad

                      Brad,

                      Your lies become more and more vicious. "male" disposability"?

                      I can't believe you can be so stupid as to believe that it is males being disposed of by women. How about all the female babies being aborted all over the world? All the women being killed by BFs and husbands and fathers?

                      I'm not going to say more - but it is time to call you on your blatant lies. You don't give a fig for the truth - your rage forces you to deepen the abuse done to women worldwide, Yes - there is abuse by women as well - but stop pretending it is equal to the abuse perpetrated by men on both males and females.

                      Stop perpetuating this rubbish - you impress no one but yourself and your nasty group of misogynists.

                      Your constant hysterical screaming attacks on this Lost are abusive.

                      "Tolerance becomes a crime when applied to evil". -Thomas Mann

                    • mark hubey

                        Message 11 of 12 , Apr 8, 2013
                          >[rapists are]...male by a large majority.

                          And what if there were significant adjectives that could be added to 'male'...adding of which could result in fewer women and girls being raped and abused. But adding of which would be politically and socially difficult. Would you do it?

                          Message 12 of 12 , Apr 8, 2013
                            hibbsa writes: Rape is a serious problem in non-Western countries therefore rape is going to get a lot worse in Western countries.

                            Where is the model that displays the accuracy of this claim?

                            About Half of Rape Allegations are False, Research Shows False allegations of rape are believed to be more common than many persons realize. These are the findings of four research studies:
                            • A review of 556 rape accusations filed against Air Force personnel found that 27% of women later recanted. Then 25 criteria were developed based on the profile of those women, and then submitted to three independent reviewers to review the remaining cases. If all three reviewers deemed the allegation was false, it was categorized as false. As a result, 60% of all allegations were found to be false.1 Of those women who later recanted, many didn't admit the allegation was false until just before taking a polygraph test. Others admitted it was false only after having failed a polygraph test.
                            • In a nine-year study of 109 rapes reported to the police in a Midwestern city, Purdue sociologist Eugene J. Kanin reported that in 41% of the cases the complainants eventually admitted that no rape had occurred.3
                            • In a follow-up study of rape claims filed over a three-year period at two large Midwestern universities, Kanin found that of 64 rape cases, 50% turned out to be false.4 Among the false charges, 53% of the women admitted they filed the false claim as an alibi.5
                            • According to a 1996 Department of Justice report, “in about 25% of the sexual assault cases referred to the FBI, ... the primary suspect has been excluded by forensic DNA testing. It should be noted that rape involves a forcible and non-consensual act, and a DNA match alone does not prove that rape occurred. So the 25% figure substantially underestimates the true extent of false allegations.
                            And according to former Colorado prosecutor Craig Silverman, “For 16 years, I was a kick-ass prosecutor who made most of my reputation vigorously prosecuting rapists. ... I was amazed to see all the false rape allegations that were made to the Denver Police Department. ... A command officer in the Denver Police sex assaults unit recently told me he placed the false rape numbers at approximately 45%.”7
                            According to the FBI, about 95,000 forcible rapes were reported in 2004.8 Based on the statements and studies cited above, some 47,000 American men are falsely accused of rape each year. These men are disproportionately African-American.9
                            Some of these men are wrongly convicted, sentenced, and imprisoned. Even if there is no conviction, a false allegation of rape can “emotionally, socially, and economically destroy a person.”

                            All women are pedophiles and that’s all they are!!