Re: [evol-psych] Re: [human-ethology] You are what you eat -- even the littlest bites: Dietary influences tied to changes in gene expression

    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 2 4:57 PM
      Kohl,

      Again totally irrelevant and fraudulent 'citation'. The cited article claims a link between nutrients and THERMOREGULATION not GENETIC CHANGES!

      Kohl is either an idiot or a fraud...

      Edgar

      On Apr 2, 2013, at 6:45 PM, james kohl wrote:

      I've decided it is best to be more specific when addressing Edgar Owen. In the context of "...evidence that what organisms eat is why they turn into different organisms with different genomes" which he foolishly claims I have not provided and cannot provide, here's the excerpt with the pertinent link:

      Part 2: An epigenetic continuum of nutrient-dependent pheromone-controlled thermoregulation
      Nematodes
      Differences in the behavior of nematodes are determined by nutrient-dependent rewiring of their primitive nervous system (Bumbarger, Riebesell, Rödelsperger, & Sommer, 2013). Species incompatibilities in nematodes are associated with cysteine-to-alanine substitutions (Wilson et al., 2011), which can be expected to alter thermoregulation via the same molecular mechanisms of microbes.

      In my model, nematodes exemplify nutrient-dependent pheromone-controlled neurogenic niche construction, which is adaptively evolved only after ecological and social niche construction have occurred (sans mutations).  It occurs prior to the socio-cognitive niche construction exemplified in the honeybee model organism.

      From: Jay Feierman <jay.feierman84@...>

      You are what you eat -- even the littlest bites: Dietary influences tied to changes in gene expression

      Sometimes you just can't resist a tiny piece of chocolate cake. Even the most health-conscious eaters find themselves indulging in junk foods from time to time. New research raises the striking possibility that even small amounts of these occasional indulgences may produce significant changes in gene expression that could negatively impact physiology and health

      JK: See also: Nutrient-dependent / Pheromone-controlled Adaptive Evolution
      and Nutrient-dependent / Pheromone-controlled thermodynamics and thermoregulation. In the context of my most recently published work, these pre-publication works link the molecular mechanisms responsible for the dietary influences in worms, to nutrient-dependent pheromone-controlled adaptive evolution in species from microbes to man (sans mutations theory).

      Message 2 of 9 , Apr 2 9:40 PM
        From: Edgar Owen <edgarowen@...>
        Once again the 'cited' reference has nothing to do with Kohl's 'model' and does NOT support anything about what nematodes eat changes their genetics...

        Kohl is a fraud...

        JK: The evidence doesn't get much clearer than this:

        Highlights from: System-wide Rewiring Underlies Behavioral Differences in Predatory and Bacterial-Feeding Nematodes

        Massive neural circuit rewiring between nematodes with divergent feeding behavior ► Striking patterns correlate with known functional differences ► Motor synapse differences indicate a substantial change in information flow ► Correlates of predatory feeding behavior are identified

        Perhaps Edgar thinks that random mutations cause the massive neural circuit rewiring (i.e., neurogenic niche construction) caused by differences in diet in all species with neural circuitry.

        Message 3 of 9 , Apr 3 4:47 AM
          Kohl,

          Apparently you don't understand your OWN 'model'. Show me the evidence that what nematodes eat changes their GERM cells.

          Genetic changes in your 'model' require that what organisms eat or smell changes the DNA in their sperm or egg cells.

          Edgar

          Message 4 of 9 , Apr 3 5:48 AM
            Edgar,

            You continue to foolishly misrepresent what I have modeled and to denigrate my works. What is your point? Why not simply admit that you are not capable of understanding anything I have detailed, or propose a model of adaptive evolution that includes random mutations theory?

            Each time you have challenged me to provide evidence, I have done so. All evidence leads to additional challenges from you when it has been included in published review articles beginning in 1996. Why should I again address transgenerational epigenetic inheritance, which obviously occurs or else adaptive evolution could not occur? When you claim: "Genetic changes in your 'model' require that what organisms eat or smell changes the DNA in their sperm or egg cells." -- you are merely bringing back into play the ridiculous debate with others about transgenerational epigenetic inheritance.

            In my model the epigenetic effects of nutrients and pheromones on genes and behavior leads to changes in DNA in sperm cells and ova. But the epigenetic effects are consistent with what is known about the molecular biology of all species, whether or not they sexually reproduce via sperm cells and ova. My model establishes cause and effect in species from microbes to man. Microbes do not sexually reproduce. However, their reproduction, like reproduction in all species, is nutient-dependent and pheromone-controlled.

            Only someone with a very small mind and limited intellectual abilities would consistently fail to grasp the biological facts I have continued to represent, and claim that my model requires what organisms eat or smell to change the DNA in their sperm or egg cells. Others need only look at the title of my most recently published work to grasp that fact. Human pheromones and food odors: epigenetic influences on the socioaffective nature of evolved behaviors. What's your problem?