ASD (autism spectrum disorder) is genetic damage!

  • Nils K.
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 2, 2013
      Dear All!

      I'm surprised how untalented the great majority of the
      memebers of this group are.

      Their serious lack of genetic understanding has caused a terrible
      misuse of evolutionary ideas.

      Genetic diseases are claimed to be evolutionary adaptations.

      But genetic diseases are mainly caused by damaged DNA, damaged genes,
      damaged chromosomes, damaged "junk DNA", and similar damage to genetic
      (including epigenetic) systems.

      Our cells are today containing some 1,000,000 (sic) chemical
      mutagens, in addition to being bombarded with all kinds of
      mutagenic radiation, mutagenic noise, vibrating mutagenic
      magnetic fields, etc.

      Even the seawater in the Arctic is highly mutagenic causing polar
      bears to contain two times as much mutagenic environmental pollution
      as is the limit to be classified as dangerous waste that have to
      be taken care of in special ways.

      We can fill many volumes of books only to describe the worst
      environnmental catastrophes which are exploding today.

      The desinformation activity of this group when it explains away the
      worst of these catastrophes, namely the damaging and destroying
      of our DNA, is tragic.

      Best,
      NKO
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 2, 2013
        I'm beginning to think the problem is that many people here don't know what a gene is, which makes it impossible for them to grasp the concept of epigenetics.

        Explainer: What is a gene?
        There's a very confusing exchange in Lewis Carroll's Through the Looking Glass: "When I use a word," Humpty Dumpty said, in rather a scornful tone, "it means just what I choose it to mean—neither more nor less."

        Epigenetics: “An essential mechanism for pruning down the wide range of possible behaviors permitted by genes, selecting those that fit an individual’s environment.”

        What we frequently see is input from confused small-minded individuals who seem to think that mutations somehow cause adaptive evolution. When I tell them that's a ridiculous theory, their comments become even more ridiculous as they attempt to defend their scientifically unsubstantiated opinions.

[...]

      • clarence_sonny_williams
        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 2, 2013
          Nils,

          You've revealed yourself to be the greater idiot in this group.
          Absolutely nobody has ever said, "genetic diseases are claimed to be
          evolutionary adaptations." That misrepresentation of what has been said
          about the role of genetic mutations (writ large) in natural selection
          reveals you to be totally ignorant of genetics and natural selection.

          I wish you would peddle your book and your Chicken Little "the sky is
          falling" mania somewhere other than this group. You are nothing more
          than a mole since the purpose of the group is NOT for self-promotion,
          but that is all you contribute with your inane blathering and cluttering
          posts.

          --- In evolutionary-psychology@yahoogroups.com, "Nils K." <n-oeij@...>

          Message 4 of 6 , Apr 2, 2013
            Is there anyone who disagrees with Williams that he does not consider to be a "mole' who should be banned from the group?  "...misrepresentation[s] of what has been said about the role of genetic mutations (writ large) in natural selection..." should be clarified. What's been misrepresented?

            We have people claiming that mutations are somehow involved in natural selection, but we know that mutations are involved in disease. Williams now says that Nils is "...totally ignorant of genetics and natural selection." He could simply tell us how genetic mutations contribute to disease and to natural selection. Who's selecting for what? Is there a model for that? Those two questions are posed in the language of laypersons. Why aren't they answered?

            wrote:

            > Dear All!
            >
            > I'm surprised how untalented the great majority of the
            > memebers of this group are.
            >
            > Their serious lack of genetic understanding has caused a terrible
            > misuse of evolutionary ideas.
            >
            > Genetic diseases are claimed to be evolutionary adaptations.
            >
            > But genetic diseases are mainly caused by damaged DNA, damaged genes,
            > damaged chromosomes, damaged "junk DNA", and similar damage to genetic
            > (including epigenetic) systems.
            >
            > Our cells are today containing some 1,000,000 (sic) chemical
            > mutagens, in addition to being bombarded with all kinds of
            > mutagenic radiation, mutagenic noise, vibrating mutagenic
            > magnetic fields, etc.
            >
            > Even the seawater in the Arctic is highly mutagenic causing polar
            > bears to contain two times as much mutagenic environmental pollution
            > as is the limit to be classified as dangerous waste that have to
            > be taken care of in special ways.
            >
            > We can fill many volumes of books only to describe the worst
            > environnmental catastrophes which are exploding today.
            >
            > The desinformation activity of this group when it explains away the
            > worst of these catastrophes, namely the damaging and destroying
            > of our DNA, is tragic.
            >
            > Best,
            > NKO

          • Leif Ekblad
            Message 5 of 6 , Apr 2, 2013

              Leif Ekblad: I really liked that description of epigenetics. However, your quote as usual is taken out of context in order to try to prove to people that your model is correct. The fact is that this article doesn't support you nutrition / pheromone model either.

              Instead of what you suggest, they say like this about the current knowledge: "Today, it’s known that the “something” that histones and other proteins do with DNA includes turning genes on and off, or (more commonly) turning their expression up or down." That's exactly how I summarized the state in a previous post, but JVK didn't accept that.

              Here is another claim from the article: "A lot of the experiments that are carried out in this field are correlative". This might not sound too alarming for somebody relatively uneducated about ASDs, but all correlation research on ASD and neurodiversity are potentially faulty, since any neurodiversity trait is correlated to any other neurodiversity trait (and this can be detected by large enough samples). What this means is that if you have some epigenetic modification that is correlated to ASD, you can find a correlation to any neurodiversity-trait of your choice. Given that neurodiversity is much of human diversity, this becomes a real problem.

              Leif Ekblad

              Message 6 of 6 , Apr 2, 2013
                It's impossible to place what Leif is trying to "back-track" and say into any context whatsoever. No links to previous posts means he can claim to have said virtually anything, or claim that I didn't accept what he said. It's a fool's game that I've grown tired of playing with him and others who will not cite research or link to the past contributions they want brought forward into current discussion.