Re: News: Who pays for sex, anyway? New findings offer surprises

  • Mike Tintner
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 27, 2013
      Great article. Thanks Robert. But it leaves out one obvious statistic (wh. I presume exists) – and is esp.; relevant when comparing one nation’s male customers of prostitutes with another’s. How *sexually active* are the different male groups? – activity with all females.  I would guess that US males get much more sex non-commercially/privately than, say, Indian males. And general sexual activity would be a key factor affecting males’ resorting to prostitutes?
    • Robert Karl Stonjek
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 28, 2013

        Sent: Thursday, March 28, 2013 8:58 AM
        Subject: Re: News: Who pays for sex, anyway? New findings offer surprises

        Great article. Thanks Robert. But it leaves out one obvious statistic (wh. I presume exists) – and is esp.; relevant when comparing one nation’s male customers of prostitutes with another’s. How *sexually active* are the different male groups? – activity with all females.  I would guess that US males get much more sex non-commercially/privately than, say, Indian males. And general sexual activity would be a key factor affecting males’ resorting to prostitutes?

        RKS:
        The problem with that is that, because of the high demand in India, children are forced into prostitution (35% of Indian prostitutes start before age 18).  Sex slavery and rape is far more common in India than the west.  There are more sex slaves in India than in the entire western world combined (my estimation).  Sexual activity among males probably is comparable, but because males traditionally demand virgin wives and because there is a high level of selective abortion in India (killing female foetus) there are nowhere near enough voluntary sex workers.  I have posted stories about females who were sold by their cousin to child sex worker traders and taken to the city and forced into prostitution.  The average age that these traders buy at is 14 years old.

        So it is all well and good to say that the men are getting their sex, but look at the misogyny and misery caused by their tradition.  And I sometimes hear Indian men say that in India women are treated with respect.  they are referring only to the visible females  and not the whole female population.  Taken on balance, females are treated worse than cattle in India.  In fact India is the fourth least safe country for women in the world.

        Not a good outcome at all.

        Robert
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 28, 2013
          Mike,

          Yes, it is obvious that if a wife or GF isn't giving her man what he needs sexually that he will be more inclined to get it elsewhere...

          So we need to determine the sexual compliance of females to really answer the question... As you suggest it can't be answered just by looking at men....

          Edgar