Re: News: Child marriages: 39,000 every day

  • Don Zimmerman
    Message 1 of 46 , Mar 10, 2013
      --- In evolutionary-psychology@yahoogroups.com, Julienne <julienne@...> wrote:

      > Oh, come on, Don - you're being so intelligent and psychologically healthy. <g>
      >
      > Despite all the dark and wobbly signs nd detours and muddles and
      > missteps, I believe we are evolving for the better - in all ways.
      >
      > If Edgar were 20 years old, he would think quite differently, I think.

      DWZ:
      Another thing that should be considered is that when half the population is uneducated and subservient, the arrival of modern science and technology is slower than it could be. That is not good for all varieties of social progress.

      Expansion of women's rights speeds things up and brings about a kind of mutual feedback. More creativity and productivity on the part of the vast, previously under-utilized human potential leads to more science and technology. In turn, that results in further disappearance of the old ideas and restrictions, which promotes still more technology, more education .... , and so on back and forth.

      Best regards,

      Donald W. Zimmerman
      Vancouver, BC, Canada
      dwzimm@...
      http://www3.telus.net/public/a7a82899:
      Message 46 of 46 , Mar 11, 2013
        At 03:58 PM 3/9/2013, Edgar Owen wrote:

        >Don,
        >
        >Why would we expect nations to rise out of poverty when human over
        >population is exploding just as resources are being depleted?

        Because education, especially of women, tends to lower the birth
        rate, which raises people out of poverty.

        Julienne

        We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful what we pretend
        to be. Kurt Vonnegut