Re: [evol-psych] Re: Paper: Patterns of population epigenomic diversity

    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 7, 2013
      From: clarence_sonny_williams <clarencew@...>
      Interesting paper, but the differences between the genetic regulatory mechanisms in plants and animals is huge.

      JK: I've already commented on the similarities. What Williams thinks about the differences in gene regulatory mechanisms is unsupported by any evidence.  Does it strike anyone else as odd that someone thinks the molecular mechanisms of life are different in different living things? Why doesn't Williams ever make anything more that blanket statement of his scientifically unsupported opinions? For contrast, I repeat:

      Article excerpt: "Animals also use small RNA-directed DNA methylation and heterochromatin formation mechanisms to maintain the epigenome of the germ line through the use of Piwi-interacting RNAs." For example, in the Drosophila genome. "Piwi/piRNAs represent a major epigenetic mechanism exerting strong global effects."

      The epigenetic mechanisms that exert strong global effects are discussed in terms of "genes of large effect" or epigenetic tweaking of immense gene networks (e.g., in my model). There's simply no room for random mutations theory in attempts to link the molecular biology of plants to animals. Thus, we have yet another opinion (above) from someone who is stuck with only a ridiculous theory. The differences between theory and fact are huge, not the differences in the molecular mechanisms of plants and animals.

      --- In evolutionary-psychology@yahoogroups.com, "Robert Karl Stonjek"
      <stonjek@...> wrote:

      > Patterns of population epigenomic diversity
      >
      > Robert J. Schmitz, Matthew D. Schultz, Mark A. Urich, Joseph R. Nery,
      Mattia Pelizzola, Ondrej Libiger, Andrew Alix, Richard B. McCosh,
      Huaming Chen, Nicholas J. Schork & Joseph R. Ecker

      > Nature (2013) doi:10.1038/nature11968
      >
      > Received 05 July 2012, Accepted 30 January 2013, Published online 06
      March 2013

      > Abstract:
      > Natural epigenetic variation provides a source for the generation of
      phenotypic diversity, but to understand its contribution to such
      diversity, its interaction with genetic variation requires further
      investigation. Here we report population-wide DNA sequencing of genomes,
      transcriptomes and methylomes of wild Arabidopsis thaliana accessions.
      Single cytosine methylation polymorphisms are not linked to genotype.
      However, the rate of linkage disequilibrium decay amongst differentially
      methylated regions targeted by RNA-directed DNA methylation is similar
      to the rate for single nucleotide polymorphisms. Association analyses of
      these RNA-directed DNA methylation regions with genetic variants
      identified thousands of methylation quantitative trait loci, which
      revealed the population estimate of genetically dependent methylation
      variation. Analysis of invariably methylated transposons and genes
      across this population indicates that loci targeted by RNA-directed DNA
      methylation are epigenetically activated in pollen and seeds, which
      facilitates proper development of these structures.

      > Source: Nature [Open Access Paper]

      http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/vaop/ncurrent/full/nature11968.html\
      ?WT.ec_id=NATURE-20130307