Third and Final Call for Papers: "Biological and Evolutionary Aspects of Religion," SSSR 2013

  • Jay Feierman
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 2, 2013
      Dear Friends,

      For the 6th consecutive year I am organizing "Sessions" at the annual meeting of the Society for the Scientific Study of Religion (SSSR) on "Biological and Evolutionary Aspects of Religion." The meeting is in the Boston Westin Waterfront Hotel from Friday, November 8th to Sunday, November 10th at noon. There are much-reduced conference rates for the hotel. The web page for SSSR, including meeting details are here http://www.sssrweb.org/ . The deadline for me to receive a title and a 150 word abstract for persons wanting to participate is March 15th, as I have to put the Sessions together and send the material to the SSSR Program Committee by March 31st. The papers can be theory, data, or both. However, the papers must be non-judgmental science with no papers advocating for or against religion.

      To date there are 10 confirmed "yes" contributors and one "maybe." The people confirmed as presenting are Magnus S. Magnusson, Burgess Wilson,Tom Ellis, Michael McGuire, Benjamin Abelow, Malcolm Dean, Lluis Oviedo, Armin Geertz, Steward Guthrie and Jay R. Feierman. In addition to the general paper sessions on the "Biological and Evolutionary Aspects of Religion" there is going to be one (and possibly two) 90-minute Session(s) devoted to one (and possibly two) new books on the topic with three discussants and an author's response. Sessions at SSSR last 90 minutes and have 3 or 4 presenters on a common theme. PowerPoint projectors are provided by the hotel. Last year we had two Sessions on Biological and Evolutionary Aspects of Religion. This year I expect we will have three or four, including the Session(s) dedicated to the new book(s).

      One of the books to be discussed is Origins of Religion, Cognition and Culture, Edited by Armin W. Geertz (Aarhus University, Denmark), Acumen Publishers, In Press (release date expected to be October, 2013). The other book that might be discussed is Why We Believe in God(s): A Concise Guide to the Science of Faith by J. Anderson Thompson, Jr. ("Andy Thompson"), Pitchstone Publishing, 2011. Andy has a potential scheduling conflict that weekend. He will let me know next week if he can come. Discussants will get copies of the books prior to the meeting.

      In addition to the formal Sessions the contributors to the Biological and Evolutionary Aspects of Religion Sessions have had dinner together on Thursday, Friday and Saturday nights. That is very nice and especially if you don't know any of the 500 or so attendees at the meeting, the majority of whom are sociologists of religion. If anyone is interested in presenting or being a discussant of one of the two books, please let me know as soon as possible (jay.feierman84@...).

      Regards,
      Jay R. Feierman