Re: [human-ethology] Newman 2013 Pigeon Study Contradicts Darwinian Natural Selection

  • Don Zimmerman
    Message 1 of 45 , Feb 23, 2013
      --- In evolutionary-psychology@yahoogroups.com, james kohl <jvkohl@...> wrote:

      > "Despite the unknowns in the identity and action of the cr-associated gene in
      > generating the crest, one thing is certain about it: it is a "gene of large
      > effect." Such genes were written out of the mid-20th-century Darwinian
      > synthesis based on statistical arguments of R.A. Fisher,4 which were contrived
      > to make natural selection compatible with a gradualist version of Mendel's
      > genetics. Alternative theories that invoked such "macromutations" and
      > associated phenotypic jumps or "saltations"5 suffered ridicule and neglect."

      DWZ:
      Here is a statement from Wikipedia that sums it up nicely:
      "In genetics, a mutation is a change of the nucleotide sequence of the genome of an organism, virus, or extrachromosomal genetic element. Mutations result from unrepaired damage to DNA or to RNA genomes (typically caused by radiation or chemical mutagens), from errors in the process of replication, or from the insertion or deletion of segments of DNA by mobile genetic elements. Mutations may or may not produce discernable changes in the observable characteristics (phenotype) of an organism. Mutations play a part in both normal and abnormal biological processes, including evolution, cancer, and the development of the immune system."

      As to the originator of that point of view, the name Thomas Hunt Morgan may be what you are looking for. But as to who represents the same point of view nowadays, the answer probably is something like "every geneticist on the planet." Even the ones in the former Soviet Union most likely have finally come around!

      Best regards,

      Donald W. Zimmerman
      Vancouver, BC, Canada
      dwzimm@...
      http://www3.telus.net/public/a7a82899
    • JVKohl
      Message 45 of 45 , Mar 6, 2013
        Nils,

        We must try to avoid accusing Williams of exhibiting "child-like" behavior. He's likely to
        throw another tantrum in front of everyone, and embarass us all.

        I hate it when that happens!

        Medical laboratory scientist
        ASCP AMT ASCLS
        Independent researcher
        Kohl, J.V. (2012) Human pheromones and food odors...
        Socioaffective Neuroscience & Psychology, 2: 17338.
        http://dx.doi.org/10.3402/snp.v2i0.17338

        On 3/6/2013 2:13 PM, Nils K. wrote:

        Dear Clarence, dear All!

        Clarence:
        ... The research is on its way, Don. If anyone else (other than Nils and Kohl; I do not correspond with them ...

        NKO:
        You are probably meaning that research RESULT(S) is on its way, Clarence. (It's difficult or impossible to tell in advance how
        research are going to tell us.)

        The word "correspond" is not synomymous with the word "discuss" or
        "debate". You are probably meaning "discuss", not "correspond".

        However, in a sense, you ARE using the right concept: You are
        pretty unable to discuss/debate our subjects (properly), you are ONLY able to "correspond".

        It's elementary psychology that beaten people back out, and avoid
        more of the same. Moreover it's a sign of child-like behavior.

        Best,
        NKO