Re: [evol-psych] Human intelligence is declining according to Stanford geneticist - movie: "Idiocracy"

  • Robin Whittle
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 19, 2013
      I Googled "Our fragile intellect" and found many blog references. An
      article in The Register:

      http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/11/14/human_intelligence_degrading/

      mentions a 2005 movie "Idiocracy" which took $300k at the box office:

      http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/idiocracy/

      In 2005, Pvt. Joe Bowers is a soldier chosen to take part
      in a secret military scientific experiment in which he will
      be put into induced hibernation for one year, along with a
      woman named Rita. Bowers is chosen for the assignment
      because he is statistically the most average man in the Army,
      while Rita is a hooker ordered to do some community service;
      however, Bowers and Rita are forgotten when the military base
      where the experiment took place is closed down, and when they
      wake up in the year 2505, Bowers finds himself living in a
      society where intelligence has taken such a landslide he's
      now the smartest man in the world. Can Bowers save America
      from its own remarkable stupidity, and he can he get the
      dunderheads around him to believe what he says?

      Some reviews:

      Even if some of the gags about dumb people start becoming
      tiresome, it's linked to a sensation of discomfort that
      should make us legitimately worry about the direction
      we're headed in.

      You have to love a movie that imagines a dystopic future in
      which the U.S. President is a former wrestler and porn star
      named Dwayne Elizondo Mountain Dew Herbert Camacho.

      It's a movie now, but in ten years it will be a historical
      documentary...

      I look forward to a time when I can safely laugh at
      Idiocracy, but that time may not come any time soon.

      Idiocracy is an unabashedly elitist film that includes fart
      jokes.

      We may look back at this film in 500 years and realize that
      Mike Judge was better able to predict the future than Arthur
      C. Clarke did with 2001: A Space Odyssey.

      Vulgar satire manages to be both stupid and smart.

      - Robin http://www.firstpr.com.au
    • mark hubey
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 19, 2013

        On Tue, Feb 19, 2013 at 8:04 PM, Robin Whittle <rw@...> wrote:
[...]

        <*> Your email settings:
            Individual Email | Traditional

        <*> To change settings online go to:
            (Yahoo! ID required)

        <*> To change settings via email:
            evolutionary-psychology-digest@yahoogroups.com
            evolutionary-psychology-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

            http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

        Mark Hubey

        "Learning to think in mathematical terms is an essential part of becoming a liberally educated person. "
        -- Kenyon College Math Department Web Page