Re: [evol-psych] Special Contribution for Valentine's Day

    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 13, 2013
      Revising the human mutation rate: implications for understanding human evolution

      Excerpt "...a distinction is made between the de novo mutation rate and the rate at which fixed inter-species differences or substitutions accumulate."

      Analysis of 6,515 exomes reveals the recent origin of most human protein-coding variants

      Excerpt 1 "...approximately 73% of all protein-coding SNVs and approximately 86% of SNVs predicted to be deleterious arose in the past 5,000–10,000 years."

      Excerpt 2 "the increased mutational capacity of recent human populations has led to a larger burden of Mendelian disorders, increased the allelic and genetic heterogeneity of traits, and may have created a new repository of recently arisen advantageous alleles that adaptive evolution will act upon in subsequent generations 27."

      My comment:
      Mutations do not cause adaptive evolution. We are living in an RNA world in which nutrient-dependent pheromone-controlled adaptive evolution makes clear the fact that "Olfaction and odor receptors provide a clear evolutionary trail that can be followed from unicellular organisms to insects to humans."

      Our brain circuits for romantic love and enduring attachment evolved via ecological, social, neurogenic, and socio-cognitive niche construction exemplified in the honeybee model organism. Let's first determine how rapidly evolution progresses in an RNA world before deciding to approach love as if it were theoretically somehow derived from a chimp / human split some four or five million years ago.

      What if, instead, it's derived from improved nutrition and efficient metabolism of nutrients to more potent pheromones that bond us to conspecifics just like food odors bond us to our favorite foods? Is there a model for that?