RE: [evol-psych] Re: backlash...

    Message 1 of 46 , Feb 11, 2013
      Yes, all good ideas. {))

      And then, of course, there's love. Once people fall in love, the
      ethno/cultural rules tend to dissolve.

      Julienne

      At 08:56 PM 2/10/2013, charles beck wrote:
      >Don & Robert - Yes re below.
      >The remaining question is to how to encourage successful rather than
      >disruptive acculturation.
      >Doug Saunders has written a book called Arrival City which deals with the
      >problem of how to encourage the latter - presenting historical and current
      >cases of BOTH. Although his book is about world-wide urbanization it deals
      >explicitly with the ethnic aspects of such migration detailing the
      >characteristics of successful arrival cities. He argues that the key is to
      >see the opportunity for successful acculturation offered by these arrival
      >cities. By providing citizenship, a chance to own property, education,
      >transportation links, and good security, cities like Sao Paulo in Brazil, or
      >Parla in Spain, local and national governments have succeeded in
      >successfully integrating their migrants.
      >In Canada this model applies not only to foreign ethnics' immigration to our
      >cities but also to the rapid urbanization of our rapidly growing native
      >populations.

      We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful what we pretend
      to be. Kurt Vonnegut
      Message 46 of 46 , Feb 11, 2013
        At 12:18 PM 2/11/2013, Don Zimmerman wrote:
        >--- In evolutionary-psychology@yahoogroups.com, Julienne wrote:
        >
        > > Yes, all good ideas. {))
        > >
        > > And then, of course, there's love. Once people fall in love, the
        > > ethno/cultural rules tend to dissolve.
        >

        >DWZ:
        >Yes indeed. In various countries, the people in power support
        >immigration policy as a means of obtaining cheap labor when needed.
        >But they would prefer the immigrants to stay to themselves in
        >ghettos while not working. They do not want outsiders falling in
        >love with and marrying the local purebred youth and certainly not
        >getting into politics and voting in elections.

        Don,

        I talk to many of these people every day in my counseling practice.
        There is a real struggle going on now between the old guard and this
        marrying generation. Some are rebelling against the parental
        "arranged" marriages. Others go into the arranged marriage, and when
        it fails, they rebel against a second arranged marriage. Many of the
        people speak with are born in India, Pakistan, Nigeria. many are now
        living in England and Trinidad. There isn't as much local ghetto life
        any more - at least in the above countries.

        Julienne