Re: [evol-psych] The Myth of Human Progress | Common Dreams

  • merle lester
    Message 1 of 11 , Jan 20, 2013
       brad get a grip of yourself...better get your spaceship ready as climate change and global warming will destroy the planet... been to china brad?...standing room only there...merle

      On 21/01/2013, at 11:17 AM, jocklenehan wrote:

      As we know, civilizations eventually collapse, and articles like this introduce us to the unfortunate pattern of thinking that brings about the collapse.

      This author takes Clive Hamilton seriously.

      A recent comment on  Hamilton sums him up: "Hamilton's book Affluenza reveals his contempt for people who want to enjoy a higher material standard of living. We are, he says, in the "grip of a consumption binge" and our " whole society is addicted to overconsumption".

      Peter Drucker was a genius, and in the introduction to one of his many books he pointed out that, in course of preparation of the book, he had looked at many economic predictions for the twentieth century,  which predictions had been made about 1900. Writing after 1950, Drucker said that it was amazing how accurate the predictions had been, considering that none of the authors took into account two world wars on a scale never before seen, and an economic depression of unprecedented magnitude, all of which occurred during the subjectt period.

      I wondered how this came to be so, and comparatively recently realized  what Carl Gustav Jung meant when he said that in human progress, error is as important as truth. We progress through error, if we have a positive attitude. Of course, it frequently occurs that those who make the error, and those who learn from it and progress, are different groups of people.

      We know that the nay-sayers, like this author and Clive Hamilton, will eventually destroy civilization, unless there is a break from the established pattern which has destroyed previous civilizations.

      I like the term which Norman Lindsay invented for people like Berg and  Hamilton ; "wowsers".

      --- In evolutionary-psychology@yahoogroups.com, Brad wrote:

      > A group that has the words progressive community in it's title is most likely leftist/anticapitalist marxist and brings with it a biased agenda. A group that claims white euro's to be the sole cause of thedeclining populations of "so called indigenous peoples" is suspect. They don't talk about the amazing discoveries and accomplishments that has saved millions upon millions of lives but only the poor outcomes. Granted the outcomes are great but the people writing this don't really care about that. The article is at best a maelstrom of opinion based hype meant to promote the doomsday machine which will further the cause of this particular group.
      >

      > Brad
      >

      > "In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act."
      >

      > -- George Orwell
      >

      > ________________________________

    • jocklenehan
      Message 2 of 11 , Jan 20, 2013
        --- In evolutionary-psychology@yahoogroups.com, merle lester wrote:

        > brad get a grip of yourself...better get your spaceship ready as
        climate change and global warming will destroy the planet... been to
        china brad?...standing room only there...merle

        > On 21/01/2013, at 11:17 AM, jocklenehan wrote:
        >

        > > As we know, civilizations eventually collapse, and articles like
        this introduce us to the unfortunate pattern of thinking that brings
        about the collapse.

        > > This author takes Clive Hamilton seriously.
        > >
        > > A recent comment on Hamilton sums him up: "Hamilton's book Affluenza
        reveals his contempt for people who want to enjoy a higher material
        standard of living. We are, he says, in the "grip of a consumption
        binge" and our " whole society is addicted to overconsumption".

        > > Peter Drucker was a genius, and in the introduction to one of his
        many books he pointed out that, in course of preparation of the book, he
        had looked at many economic predictions for the twentieth century, which
        predictions had been made about 1900. Writing after 1950, Drucker said
        that it was amazing how accurate the predictions had been, considering
        that none of the authors took into account two world wars on a scale
        never before seen, and an economic depression of unprecedented
        magnitude, all of which occurred during the subjectt period.

        > > I wondered how this came to be so, and comparatively recently
        realized what Carl Gustav Jung meant when he said that in human
        progress, error is as important as truth. We progress through error, if
        we have a positive attitude. Of course, it frequently occurs that those
        who make the error, and those who learn from it and progress, are
        different groups of people.

        > > We know that the nay-sayers, like this author and Clive Hamilton,
        will eventually destroy civilization, unless there is a break from the
        established pattern which has destroyed previous civilizations.

        > > I like the term which Norman Lindsay invented for people like Berg
        and Hamilton; "wowsers".

        I meant Hedges, not Berg.

        You are not up to date, merle, even the fraudulent Hansen acknowledges
        that global warming stopped 10 years ago. He ignores the other six years
        it has been stopped, and refers to it as a "pause".

        It was only 6 tenths of a degree anyway, over the course of a century,
        as we came out of the ice age.

        There is still no scientific basis for the allegation that human
        emissions have any measurable effect on climate.

        > > --- In evolutionary-psychology@yahoogroups.com, Brad wrote:
        > > >
        > > > A group that has the words progressive community in it's title is
        most likely leftist/anticapitalist marxist and brings with it a biased
        agenda. A group that claims white euro's to be the sole cause of
        thedeclining populations of "so called indigenous peoples" is suspect.
        They don't talk about the amazing discoveries and accomplishments that
        has saved millions upon millions of lives but only the poor outcomes.
        Granted the outcomes are great but the people writing this don't really
        care about that. The article is at best a maelstrom of opinion based
        hype meant to promote the doomsday machine which will further the cause
        of this particular group.

        > > > Brad
        > > >

        > > > "In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a
        revolutionary act."

        > > > -- George Orwell
        > > >

        > > > ________________________________

      • Don Zimmerman
        Message 3 of 11 , Jan 21, 2013
          --- In evolutionary-psychology@yahoogroups.com, "jocklenehan" wrote:

          > There is still no scientific basis for the allegation that human
          > emissions have any measurable effect on climate.

          DWZ:
          Jeez. I thought all along that scientists maintained the reverse. You learn something every day. Next thing you know I am going to find out that corporations polluting the air we breathe is good for us and that taxes on the rich being too high are the source of our troubles. Jeez.

          Best regards,

          Donald W. Zimmerman
          Vancouver, BC, Canada
          dwzimm@...
          http://www3.telus.net/public/a7a82899
        • merle lester
          Message 4 of 11 , Jan 21, 2013
            jocklenhan...some people never learn...looks like you fall into that category...merle

            Message 5 of 11 , Jan 21, 2013
              --- In evolutionary-psychology@yahoogroups.com, merle lester wrote:

              > jocklenhan...some people never learn...looks like you fall into that
              category...merle

              > You can easily sort yourself out, Don, just try to find one scientific
              paper which demonstrates any measurable effect of human emissions on
              climate.

              The effect is so trivial as not to be measurable. You are another victim
              of Gore and the IPCC.

              Thanks, merle, for the scientific basis of your opinion.

              Message 6 of 11 , Jan 21, 2013
                go to china jocklenhan... the sky is dark grey..no sunshine and blue sky..why? pollution... are you awake with your eyes wide shut?...merle

                On 22/01/2013, at 9:52 AM, jocklenehan wrote:

                > --- In evolutionary-psychology@yahoogroups.com, merle lester wrote:
                >>
                >> jocklenhan...some people never learn...looks like you fall into that
                > category...merle
                >>
                >> You can easily sort yourself out, Don, just try to find one scientific
                > paper which demonstrates any measurable effect of human emissions on
                > climate.
                >
                > The effect is so trivial as not to be measurable. You are another victim
                > of Gore and the IPCC.
                >
                > Thanks, merle, for the scientific basis of your opinion.

                <snip>
              • Don Zimmerman
                Message 7 of 11 , Jan 21, 2013
                  --- In evolutionary-psychology@yahoogroups.com, "jocklenehan" wrote:

                  > > You can easily sort yourself out, Don, just try to find one scientific
                  > paper which demonstrates any measurable effect of human emissions on
                  > climate.
                  >
                  > The effect is so trivial as not to be measurable. You are another victim
                  > of Gore and the IPCC.

                  DWZ:
                  You must be disappointed, Jock, having voted for Al Gore and then seen him promote such hairbrained ideas about climate. Oh! Wait a minute! Is it possible you didn't vote for Clinton and Gore? I thought all evolutionary psychologists were liberals and Democrats like me.

                  Message 8 of 11 , Jan 22, 2013
                    It is OK, Don, you could not find any science, but neither can any-one
                    else. The IPCC admits it.

                    Sorry that you could not understand the question, merle. I am afraid I
                    cannot simplify it any further.