Re: [evol-psych] News: Deodorants: Do we really need them?

    Message 1 of 11 , Jan 17, 2013
      I never use deodorants, never have, never will.

      Edgar

      On Jan 17, 2013, at 7:47 PM, Robert Karl Stonjek wrote:

      Deodorants: Do we really need them?

      January 17th, 2013 in Health

      New research shows that more than 75 per cent of people with a particular version of a gene don't produce under-arm odour but use deodorant anyway.

      The study was based on a sample of 6,495 women who are part of the wider Children of the 90s study at the University of Bristol. The researchers found that about two per cent (117 out of 6,495) of mothers carry a rare version of a particular gene (ABCC11), which means they don't produce any under-arm odour.

      While about 5 per cent of people who produce an odour do not use deodorant, more than a fifth (26 out of 117) of those who don't produce an odour do not use deodorant, a statistically highly significant difference. However, 78 per cent of people who do not produce odour, still use deodorant on all or most days.

      Speaking about the novel finding, published today in the Journal of Investigative Dermatology, the lead author Professor Ian Day said:

      'An important finding of this study relates to those individuals who, according to their genotype, do not produce under-arm odour. One quarter of these individuals must consciously or subconsciously recognise that they do not produce odour and do not use deodorant, whereas most odour producers do use deodorant. However, three quarters of those who do not produce an odour regularly use deodorants; we believe that these people simply follow socio-cultural norms. This contrasts with the situation in North East Asia, where most people do not need to use deodorant and they don't.'

      The first author of the paper, Dr Santiago Rodriguez added:

      'These findings have some potential for using genetics in the choice of personal hygiene products. A simple gene test might strengthen self-awareness and save some unnecessary purchases and chemical exposures for non-odour producers.'

      The authors highlight that people who carry this rare genetic variant are also more likely to have dry (rather than sticky) ear wax and that checking ear wax is a good indicator of whether or not a person produces under-arm odour.

      Previous studies have shown that there is a link between a genetic variant located in the ABCC11 gene and under-arm odour. Sweat glands produce sweat which, combined with bacteria, result in under-arm odour. The production of odour depends on the existence of an active ABCC11 gene. However, the ABCC11 gene is known to be inactive in some people.

      This study looked for the first time at deodorant usage in relation to ABCC11 genotype and also in comparison with other factors such as age, background and general household hygiene. At the individual level, the influence of ABCC11 genotype was much stronger than the other factors. The statistical support for the ABCC11 finding was extremely strong – the random chance of getting the same answer was less than one in a million million million odds.

      More information: 'Dependence of deodorant usage on ABCC11 genotype: scope for personalised genetics in personal hygiene' by Santiago Rodriguez et al is published today [17 January 2013] in the Journal of Investigative Dermatology, (Nature Publishing), doi:10.1038/jid.2012.480

      Provided by University of Bristol

      "Deodorants: Do we really need them?." January 17th, 2013. http://medicalxpress.com/news/2013-01-deodorants.html

      Posted by
      Robert Karl Stonjek

    • hibbsa
      Message 2 of 11 , Jan 18, 2013
        yeah, and you haven't got a girlfriend either

        (tee hee)

        --- In evolutionary-psychology@yahoogroups.com, Edgar Owen wrote:

        > I never use deodorants, never have, never will.
        >
        > Edgar
        >
        > On Jan 17, 2013, at 7:47 PM, Robert Karl Stonjek wrote:

        <snip>
      • merle lester
        Message 3 of 11 , Jan 18, 2013
          that's rude hibbsa..

          my hubby of 47 years does use deodorants ..

          .just because you stink and are polluting the atmosphere... merle

          Message 4 of 11 , Jan 18, 2013
            Hibbsa,

            I DO have a WONDERFUL girlfriend, in fact several of them. Why would you think otherwise?

            Edgar

            Message 5 of 11 , Jan 18, 2013

              See also:

              Genetic Deodorant

              By Jef Akst

              People carrying a certain gene variant that dictates fresh underarms are less likely to wear antiperspirant.

              Ethnic differences in the number of apocrine glands, sex differences in hormones, and differences in human pheromone production are discussed on pages 42-43; 160-162 of The Scent of Eros: Mysteries of Odor in Human Sexuality (1995/2002).

              Message 6 of 11 , Jan 18, 2013
                Some people do not sweat much.  Some a lot ad they need deodorants.
                I hardly ever sweat and I do not use deodorants.
                Are deodorants necessary? Not if you  shower at least once a day.
                I like most Americans shower twice a day, so where is the problem?
                Perhaps for Europeans who on average bathe about once a week or even once every two weeks.
                Anna

                Sent: Friday, January 18, 2013 5:09 PM

                --- In mailto:evolutionary-psychology%40yahoogroups.com, Edgar Owen wrote:

                > I never use deodorants, never have, never will.
                >
                > Edgar

              • Nancy
                Message 7 of 11 , Jan 18, 2013
                  James kohl wrote:
                  People carrying a certain gene variant that dictates fresh underarms are less
                  likely to wear antiperspirant.

                  Ethnic differences in the number of apocrine glands, sex differences in
                  hormones, and differences in human pheromone production are discussed on pages "

                  So you're saying this is genetically determined and not caused by nutrient chemicals?

                  What caused the genetic differences?
                  Nancy
                • hibbsa
                  Message 8 of 11 , Jan 19, 2013
                    I was kidding around merle...I don't use them myself. Nor aftershave/perfume, nor jewelry...not even a watch or ring. My skin doesn't like any of it.

                    Message 9 of 11 , Jan 19, 2013
                      I was kidding edgar...I know you're a dandy dan

                      Message 10 of 11 , Jan 19, 2013

                        I wrote:

                        See also: Genetic Deodorant

                        By Jef Akst

                        People carrying a certain gene variant that dictates fresh underarms are less likely to wear antiperspirant.

                        Ethnic differences in the number of apocrine glands, sex differences in hormones, and differences in human pheromone production are discussed on pages 42-43; 160-162 of The Scent of Eros: Mysteries of Odor in Human Sexuality (1995/2002).

                        That says nothing about what's genetically determined or what's caused by nutrient chemicals or what causes genetic differences or how ignorant you appear to be when you infer that I am saying things I have not said.

                        In the context of what I wrote, and in reference to the news releases or the actual article: What is your question?