Do minds play dice?

  • Ian Pitchford
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 12, 2001
      Nature Science Update

      Do minds play dice?
      Unpredictability may be built into our brains.

      ERICA KLARREICH

      Making life-or-death decisions on the toss of a coin is hardly advisable,
      but it happens all the time in our brain's subconscious, according to new
      research. Neurophysiologists have found that clusters of nerve cells
      respond to the same stimulus differently each time, as randomly as heads or
      tails.

      "It seems that the brain has a gratuitous randomizer, a sort of cerebral
      roulette wheel," said Roger Carpenter of the University of Cambridge, UK,
      at the British Association for the Advancement of Science's annual meeting
      in Glasgow on Friday.

      Randomness could be a valuable aid to survival in a complex world,
      Carpenter suggested.

      Full text:
      http://www.nature.com/nsu/010913/010913-7.html