Re: List with fresh(ish) eyes

  • Fred Feinberg
    Message 1 of 41 , Dec 9, 2012
      Hi Edgar,

      You might want to have a look at Denett's book on that very topic, where he spells out the idea in far greater detail.

      But the basic idea is that of a meme. There are many religions that get started. Which take off? Rather, what PROPERTIES allow those to take off. It would seem obvious that fecundity and encouraging conversion would hel. p.

      Religions, of course, DO evolve, albeit slowly. Witness modern-day Judaism, which is encouraging mixed couples to attend services, not to mention women rabbis. Or Mormonism, the fastest-growing religion on the planet.

      But do have a look at Dennett's actual argument, instead of my two-sentence version.

      FF

      =====

      Re: List with fresh(ish) eyes
      Sun Dec 9, 2012 4:38 pm (PST) . Posted by: "Edgar Owen" Fred,

      Dennet's suggestion seems nonsensical to me. The common cold is a living organism and thus subject to evolutionary law. Religions and astrology are not.

      Edgar
    • R A Fonda
      Message 41 of 41 , Dec 12, 2012
        Frankly, hibbsa, I don't understand how you can fail to appreciate the amazing spectacle of this list. A dry, 'intellectually safe' academic list, let alone some journal, is as deficient in psychological exemplars as a monoculture compared to an old-growth forest!

        And free speech! Well, almost ... and how much do you see of THAT elsewhere?

        So you don't get to read a brand new, breakthrough hypothesis here every day ... nor anywhere else either.

        Don't step on the hose ;-)

        RAF