Re: [evol-psych] Pendulum....Online Etymology Dictionary

  • Brad
    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 29, 2012
      Mark posted: " pendulum (n.) Look up pendulum at Dictionary.comi660, from Mod.L. pendulum (1643), noun use of neuter of Latin adjective pendulus "hanging down," from pendere "to hang" (see pendant). The Modern Latin word is perhaps a Latinization of It. pendolo."

      Creates a fairly accurate visual picture to me~!

      Brad

      "In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act."

      -- George Orwell

      Message 2 of 8 , Nov 30, 2012
        Brad,

        An accurate, but not a particularly appetizing visual picture of the female breasts...

        One wonders if Kohl (who claims "pendulous breasts" are the epitome of female beauty) has any experience with real female breasts? This suspicion is reinforced by his obsession with homosexuality being some sort of selective adaptation which is of course nonsensical...

        Edgar

        Message 3 of 8 , Nov 30, 2012
          One wonders whether Edgar can make himself seem any more foolish than he has already by reading the lastest research report, and providing his interpretation of it: Natural and Augmented Breasts: Is What is Not Natural Most Attractive? Granted, it will be hard for him to appear even more foolish to participants in this group, but I'm betting that he can do it. Tell us about the report, Edgar.

          One reason I addressed the issue of homosexual orientation in my book chapter was because evolutionary psychologists avoid it. The issue makes a mess of unsupported theories, but it supports the model I first established in the context of the development of heterosexual preferences.

          Message 4 of 8 , Nov 30, 2012
            Jim,

            Again Kohl does NOT even address the issue I raised but instead raises a red herring which I hadn't even commented on claiming that I had.

            As for me learning to make myself "even more foolish" than someone who won't look up the definition of "pendulous" I'll try but it will be pretty darn difficult!
            :-)

            EDgar

            Message 5 of 8 , Nov 30, 2012
              RKS himself commented on my use of pendulous, Edgar. It is the correct usage.

              Message 6 of 8 , Dec 1, 2012
                Jim,

                Yes RKS did comment but here AS USUAL you cite something as incorrectly supporting your position when it doesn't.

                Not that RKS is the horse's mouth on female anatomy but what he said was that I, NOT YOU, were correct in the definition of pendulous, though there was some other similarly mistaken usage.

                Edgar

                Message 7 of 8 , Dec 1, 2012
                  From: Edgar Owen <edgarowen@...>
                  Jim,

                  Yes RKS did comment but here AS USUAL you cite something as incorrectly supporting your position when it doesn't.

                  Not that RKS is the horse's mouth on female anatomy but what he said was that I, NOT YOU, were correct in the definition of pendulous, though there was some other similarly mistaken usage.

                  JK: Here is the link to the comment and the text of the comment by RKS. We are not discussing the definition, we are discussion use of the word in context. You do not understand enough about any aspect of science to use any of the words I am likely to use in their proper context, Edgar. Why would you argue against both me and RKS in discussion here that is pointless?

                  RKS:

                  It is true that the phrase 'pendulous breast' is derogatory on the one hand, but on the other hand the phrase has become standard scientific jargon for human female breasts generally and there seems to be no way to change the text book adoption of it.

                  In this case I think it is safe to say that Kohl is simply following scientific convention and not suggesting a personal opinion, so criticism is better directed to anthropology generally than to Kohl in particular, at least in this instance.

                  Even 'perky' youthful breasts are described as 'pendulous' if they do not all but disappear between pregnancies, as is common among non-human primates.

                  <snip>