Re: [evol-psych] " Belief in Evolutionary Psychology May Be Hardwired, Study Says "

  • Robert Karl Stonjek
    Message 1 of 82 , Nov 27, 2012

      Sent: Tuesday, November 27, 2012 11:00 PM
      Subject: Re: [evol-psych] " Belief in Evolutionary Psychology May Be Hardwired, Study Says "

      It was posted under humor and stupidity. Did Maarten notice that?  The Desmond Morris Syndrome (DMS) exemplifies the current state of EP belief that pendulous female breasts evolved to mimic the fleshy buttocks. The locus taedius  experiment exemplifies EP beliefs that are more humorous, instead of just plainly stupid.

      I did not take the time to determine whether this was a spoof on "Belief in God May Be Hardwired" but the notification by RKS on A hierarchical coherent-gene-group model for brain development indicates more interest about the adaptive evolution of whatever is "Hardwired" in the context of ecological, social, neurogenic, and socio-cognitive niche construction. At least there appears to be some content that might link the epigenetic tweaking of immense gene networks to brain development.

      Let's hope that DMS is not hardwired so that some EPers may someday realize that pendulous female breasts are modified scent glands that help to ensure the mammalian mother-infant bond is associated with an appropriate source of nutrient chemicals via their association with species-specific pheromones (e.g., as they obviously are in my model for the adaptive evolution of our brain and behavior). If, however, DMS is hardwired, we should soon see results of comparisons made between our male ancestors who only approached females from behind, and those who only approached from the front (due to the pendulous breasts). If we find an ancestor with a 50 / 50 split in his approach we can predict that the evolutionary advent of human males who became primarily visual creatures was also due to the evolution of their preference for the visual appeal of the breasts and that human pheromones have nothing to do with anything from that point on.

      RKS:
      Approximately 40% of Bonobo mating are ventral-ventral, a higher proportion than chimpanzees but most probably comparable to early humans.  No change in breast morphology is necessary for this mating strategy to evolve.

      Pheromones and other airborne scent chemicals can not explain the attraction that men have to photographs of naked breasts or, typically among tribal people where the breasts are not covered, to photographs of naked  buttocks...

      There is next to no possibility that large breasts evolved to mimic the buttocks, but men's attraction to the large fluid filled vulva must have been displaced elsewhere when evolution took that female attribute away, possibly because those females that had smaller vulva during their fertile period were better able to keep up with a mobile population, especially if trekking across the savannah became a common behaviour.

      Robert
    • Anna
      Message 82 of 82 , Dec 7, 2012
        In such case, let’s  have a look at sexual  immorality. How would you link it  to empathy considering that immorality is that what is not moral?

        Anna

        immorality (ˌɪməˈrælɪtɪ) [Click for IPA pronunciation guide]
        n , pl -ties
         the quality, character, or state of being immoral
         immoral behaviour, esp in sexual matters; licentiousness; profligacy or promiscuity
        an immoral act