Re: [evol-psych] Re: Dr. Eben Alexander: 'The Science of Heaven'

    Message 1 of 63 , Nov 24, 2012
      Fred,

      First thanks for the correction in what you said. I misstated it. I followed the links but wasn't able to delve deep enough to confirm their statistical validity because I never found what the actual sample consisted of in any real detail. What do you make of this supposed correlation?

      Edgar

      On Nov 24, 2012, at 6:15 PM, Fred Feinberg wrote:

      Hi Edgar,

      There are several, but note that I did NOT say that there is a "connection of astrology to the stock market". I re-printed what I did say, below, for reference. As for referreed journal articles on the topic, here are a couple to get you started. Google Scholar will bring up more:

      FF

      =====

      Fred,

      What's the supposed connection of astrology to the stock market? References please?

      If there is one why aren't astrologers rich? Julienne for one is always trying to hit on people for money and saying how poor she is according to several people who know her...

      Edgar

      On Nov 24, 2012, at 10:27 AM, Fred Feinberg wrote:

      But that wasn't the issue, really, at all. The issue is whether there are correlations between celestial events and our lives: biology, moods, events. I offered the example of the sun (a celestial body, last I checked) and our moods. There is also quite a bit of work correlating the moon with various patterns (e.g., even on the stock market). Years ago, many "scientists" would have scoffed at such correlations as nonsense. "The moon! What are we, werewolves?"

      Message 63 of 63 , Nov 25, 2012
        At 06:22 PM 11/25/2012, Wade wrote:

        >Julienne
        >
        >You are missing Anna's point completely.
        >
        >When a scientist makes a prediction about a physical event such s a
        >weather pattern or
        >geological event or indeed a cosmological event then at least
        >ignoring possible quantum type interactions
        >which would seem relevant only at atomic level, then the prediction
        >is exogenous to the system.
        >
        >However when we make predictions regarding human behaviour as for
        >example with psychologists, economists, doctors
        >etc there is always the possibility of an interaction between
        >prediction and the event as the prediction is endogenous to the
        >system and may itself influence the outcome itself.
        >
        >Fraudsters/delusionals such as astrologers should be particularly
        >cognisant of the possibility of their predictions negatively
        >impacting their victims because their victims are almost by
        >definition amongst the most suggestible of the population.
        >
        >Of course the impact need not necessarily be negative. When I used
        >to mess around with such things as a teenager, I was sure to try and
        >put a positive and generally upbeat spin on my "predictions" and I
        >think this is something that most horoscope writers tend to
        >do. However, one can never know whether some "prediction" might not
        >have some unforeseen perhaps even fatal consequences.
        >
        >I suspect those astrologers who are fraudsters are actually more
        >cognisant of this issue than the delusionals who genuinely believe
        >in their own supposed powers.

        Does it occur to you, Wade, that you believe that astrologers are
        frauds because you were?

        Julienne

        To blame the poor for subsisting on welfare has no justice unless we
        are also willing to judge every rich member of society by how
        productive he or she is. Taken individual by individual, it is likely
        that there's more idleness and abuse of government favors among the
        economically privileged than among the ranks of the disadvantaged.
        -Norman Mailer, author (1923-2007)