Re: [evol-psych] Dr. Eben Alexander: 'The Science of Heaven'

  • Maarten
    Message 1 of 63 , Nov 22, 2012
      Yes, I agree with Anna
      and...
      the issue is IMO that an astrologer predicts FOR the other (the client, coachee, the wider public).

      This in itself is already potentially murky.

      But there may be more:
      it doesn't adress the client's "felt need" for such a prediction, for what is at best a likelihood.
      When might that need be the real problem?

      Maarten

      Message 63 of 63 , Nov 25, 2012
        At 06:22 PM 11/25/2012, Wade wrote:

        >Julienne
        >
        >You are missing Anna's point completely.
        >
        >When a scientist makes a prediction about a physical event such s a
        >weather pattern or
        >geological event or indeed a cosmological event then at least
        >ignoring possible quantum type interactions
        >which would seem relevant only at atomic level, then the prediction
        >is exogenous to the system.
        >
        >However when we make predictions regarding human behaviour as for
        >example with psychologists, economists, doctors
        >etc there is always the possibility of an interaction between
        >prediction and the event as the prediction is endogenous to the
        >system and may itself influence the outcome itself.
        >
        >Fraudsters/delusionals such as astrologers should be particularly
        >cognisant of the possibility of their predictions negatively
        >impacting their victims because their victims are almost by
        >definition amongst the most suggestible of the population.
        >
        >Of course the impact need not necessarily be negative. When I used
        >to mess around with such things as a teenager, I was sure to try and
        >put a positive and generally upbeat spin on my "predictions" and I
        >think this is something that most horoscope writers tend to
        >do. However, one can never know whether some "prediction" might not
        >have some unforeseen perhaps even fatal consequences.
        >
        >I suspect those astrologers who are fraudsters are actually more
        >cognisant of this issue than the delusionals who genuinely believe
        >in their own supposed powers.

        Does it occur to you, Wade, that you believe that astrologers are
        frauds because you were?

        Julienne

        To blame the poor for subsisting on welfare has no justice unless we
        are also willing to judge every rich member of society by how
        productive he or she is. Taken individual by individual, it is likely
        that there's more idleness and abuse of government favors among the
        economically privileged than among the ranks of the disadvantaged.
        -Norman Mailer, author (1923-2007)