Re: Human pre-historic events are older

  • clarence_sonny_williams
    Message 1 of 37 , Nov 20, 2012
      Thanks, Joao, I had not seen this.

      Revising the modern humans and Neandertal/Denisovan split to 500,000
      years ago supports the theory that H. heidelbergensis is the LCA, but of
      course that does not help us with the immediate problem of describing
      the behavior characteristic of modern humans. The paper does represent
      confirmation of the recent African origin model.

      --- In evolutionary-psychology@yahoogroups.com, Joao Sousa
      Message 37 of 37 , Nov 23, 2012
        At 06:53 PM 11/19/2012, clarence_sonny_williams wrote:

        Yes, but then language must be defined.  Vervet monkeys have different
        calls for different predators, as each one calls for a different escape
        tactic.  Baboon confrontations involve different communications
        depending upon whether it is kin, the dominance of the individual, etc.
        Chimps are also "forward thinking" to some extent, as they will feign
        knowing where food is located just to throw off the dominant male.
        Several species have knowledge of "self," as established by spots
        painted on their faces.

        Cats have absolutely different sounds for different messages - and they
        are recognizable to humans paying attention. I can tell whether  one is
        angry, impatient, irritated, calling to babies, soothing babies or each other.
        Sometimes I don't know what one wants. One came up to me several times
        outside  yesterday and lifted his head and made a quite demanding cry.
        The "demanding" part came from the direct look into my eyes, and the
        very firm body language. He clearly wanted me to do something. My son
        interpreted it, "Mom - he wants to go inside." Sure enough, my son went
        over to the front door and the cat followed him with great relief and
        went inside. The other cats who were outside with us ignored the chance
        to go in - they were having a wonderful time chasing around in the sun.

        As to animals remembering, or thinking forward, that is clearly
        something they can do. What the details are, what they think while
        sitting around, i wish I knew. It reminds me of when my sons were
        tiny, and couldn't yet speak, and I couldn't wait to know what
        was going on inside their minds. But I watch them go back to a place
        where they wanted to repeat an experience - such as finding a mouse,
        or food, or just to get into a space where they aren't normally
        allowed. They absolutely plan and plot.

        Everything from bees and ants and elephants are known, aren't they,
        for repeating behaviours and events. And animals (chimps, orangs, lions)
        are known to remember each other , and humans after long periods of time.

        I think we have a great deal to learn about the language of other animals -
        and their internal "language" as well.

        I have to say I feel awful when, as yesterday, an animal is so clearly
        trying to tell me something and I don't know what it is. Feel I'm
        letting him down. Luckily, there are many times when I do know, as I
        think my son did yesterday.

        I'll give you an example of animal planning. I don't let any of the
        cats sleep in my room. Some of them, especially Serena, Annie, Mercury,
        and Wolfgang, all feel this is not in their best interests. Every one
        of them has worked out ways to sneak in and hide in different places -
        and then creep out in the night. This takes planning, and it also takes
        purposeful deception, and a degree of intelligence. Something sure is
        going on in their heads - including remembering how they did this
        before, and advanced planning.

        Those recent rock shards found in S. Africa that were apparently used in
        tools strongly suggests that the technology was transferred via
        language, and those are dated to 70 kya.

        There's lots of interesting speculation in anthropology, isn't there?

        --- In evolutionary-psychology@yahoogroups.com, "jimdehn" <jimdehn@...>
        > I can't really imagine, what I think of as human behavior without self
        > directed thought, and that requires internal language. So the question
        > to me, is when, or how did humans develop language, I don't know if
        > will ever be answered, but I like Bickerton's idea that it arose out
        > the need convey information about events that were distant in both
        > and location, due to the hunting and killing of very large game.

        Yahoo! Groups Links

        <*> Your email settings:
            Individual Email | Traditional

        <*> To change settings online go to:
            (Yahoo! ID required)

        <*> To change settings via email:

        To blame the poor for subsisting on welfare has no justice unless we are also willing to judge every rich member of society by how productive he or she is. Taken individual by individual, it is likely that there's more idleness and abuse of government favors among the economically privileged than among the ranks of the disadvantaged. -Norman Mailer, author (1923-2007)