[evol-psych] Re: News: Cracking the epigenetic code, advancing our understanding of disease

  • clarence_sonny_williams
    Message 1 of 62 , Nov 1, 2012
      Mark,

      Your focus on the math caused you to totally miss the point made by
      behavioral geneticists: The volume of all the triangles will be the
      same (big f&^$ing deal!)...but the important characteristics of those
      triangles will be very different. Some of those triangles will no
      longer fit into our cars because their length is too great.

      --- In evolutionary-psychology@yahoogroups.com, mark hubey <hubeev@...>
      wrote:

      > On Oct 31, 2012 7:57 AM,
      > > An example sometimes given is the area of a rectangle. It is
      > > nonsensical to ask about the separate contributions of length and
      width
      > > to the area of a single rectangle because area is the product of
      length
      > > and width.
      >
      > Come on, now. I am sure you can interpret this very easily
      >
      > A = xy
      >
      > dA = xdy + ydx
      >
      > How much of the contribution to the change in A comes from change in
      x?
      > Obviously ydx. If x, y are genes and environment then the change in
      genes
      > is multiplied by env.
      >
      > Area does not exist without both length and width. [An
      > > organism does not exist without genes and environment.] However, if
      we
      > > ask, not about a single rectangle but about a population of
      rectangles,
      > > the variance in areas could be due entirely to length, entirely to
      > > width, or to both. Obviously, there can be no behavior without both
      an
      > > organisms [and its genes] and an environment. The scientifically
      useful
      > > question is the origins of differences among individuals.
      > >
      > > For example, the heritability of height is about 90 percent, but
      this
      > > does not mean that you grew to 90 percent of your height for reasons
      of
      > > heredity and that the other inches were added by the environment.
      What
      > > it means is that most of the height differences among individuals
      are
      > > due to the genetic differences among them. Heritability is a
      statistic
      > > that describes the contribution of genetic differences to observed
      > > differences among individuals in a particular population at a
      particular
      > > time. In different populations or at different times, environmental
      or
      > > genetic influences might differ, and the heritability estimates in
      such
      > > populations would differ" (Plomin et al, Behavioral Genetics, Fifth
      > > Edition, 2008, p. 85-6).
      > >
      > > --- In evolutionary-psychology@yahoogroups.com, Edgar Owen
      > >
      > > edgarowen@ wrote:
      > > >
      > > > Sonny,
      > > >
      > > > Correction. Taller parents tend to have taller children and vice
      > > versa. Height IS CLEARLY HERITABLE.
      > > >
      > > > Why would anyone think otherwise?
      > > >
      > > > Edgar
      > > >
      > > ><snip>

    • Don Zimmerman
      Message 62 of 62 , Nov 1, 2012
        --- In evolutionary-psychology@yahoogroups.com, "clarence_sonny_williams" <clarencew@...> wrote:

        > I am confident that those who scoff at such scientific facts have a
        > hidden sociopolitical agenda in mind. It is a shame they are so
        > cowardly about this sociopolitical agenda that they refuse to reveal it.

        DWZ:
        I wouldn't be surprised if they already have plans drawn up for a Gulag, so that when they seize power they will have a place to send the PC liberals. Fortunately, those dreams of power are about as plausible as their "scientific" theories.

        Best regards,

        Donald W. Zimmerman
        Vancouver, BC, Canada
        dwzimm@...