[evol-psych] Re: News: Cracking the epigenetic code, advancing our understanding of disease

  • hibbsa
    Message 1 of 62 , Oct 28, 2012
      Brad - when people speak of intelligence being 80% hereditory and 20%
      environmental, would we then call that 80% genetically determined and
      20% not?

      Rgds, Sonny

      --- In evolutionary-psychology@yahoogroups.com,
      "clarence_sonny_williams" <clarencew@...> wrote:

      > Why, yes, Brad, I do understand the term very well, but thanks for
      > resourcing the Wiki entry. I disagree with that Wiki entry's opening
      > statement. Do you agree with everything you read in Wiki?
      >
      > The term "genetic determinism" is simply not used except by those who
      > use it mistakenly to mean that if you know the genotype, you then know
      > the resulting phenotype. That is precisely what I said! That is
      > patently absurd, and, as a result, not even the reductionists cited in
      > that Wiki article use the term, so the opening statement is incorrect.
      > Even Nusslein-Volhard uses things like "genetic blueprint" instead of
      > "genetic determinism." Even in that term, many disagree with its use,
      > among them me. It is still a misleading metaphorically-framed
      statement,
      > but a little closer to the truth than genetic determinism.
      >
      > Can you find a resource in which a prominent geneticists defends and
      > explains the term "genetic determinism"?
      >
      > --- In evolutionary-psychology@yahoogroups.com, "hibbsa" hibbsa@
      > wrote:

      <snip>
    • Don Zimmerman
      Message 62 of 62 , Nov 1, 2012
        --- In evolutionary-psychology@yahoogroups.com, "clarence_sonny_williams" <clarencew@...> wrote:

        > I am confident that those who scoff at such scientific facts have a
        > hidden sociopolitical agenda in mind. It is a shame they are so
        > cowardly about this sociopolitical agenda that they refuse to reveal it.

        DWZ:
        I wouldn't be surprised if they already have plans drawn up for a Gulag, so that when they seize power they will have a place to send the PC liberals. Fortunately, those dreams of power are about as plausible as their "scientific" theories.

        Best regards,

        Donald W. Zimmerman
        Vancouver, BC, Canada
        dwzimm@...