Re: [evol-psych] A decade after Steven Pinker's The Blank Slate, why is human nature still taboo?

    Message 1 of 62 , Aug 31, 2012
      --- On Fri, 8/31/12, R A Fonda <rafonda@...> wrote:
      On 8/30/2012 11:17 PM, james kohl wrote:
      Accelerated Recruitment of New Brain Development Genes into the Human Genome

      Thank you for posting this; I think I remember reading it, but it did not register with me, until now, that these are whole new genes ... not just new alleles.

      JK: You're welcome! Wouldn't it be great if someone else tried to address the fact that these are new genes, or that 1532 genes were recruited into endometrial expression during the evolution of pregnancy in placental mammals. The interactions among the 1532 genes precedes recruitment of new brain development genes into the human genome.  But where do new genes come from? Is there a model for that -- besides mine?

      James V. Kohl
      Medical laboratory scientist

    • hibbsa
      Message 62 of 62 , Sep 3, 2012
        > It is not a wholly new, it is a variant of the same.

        Yes that is an allele. But sonny had expressed uncertainty as to the
        difference between a wholly new gene and an allele.

        --- In evolutionary-psychology@yahoogroups.com, "Anna" <pantheon@...>
        wrote:

        > It is not a wholly new, it is a variant of the same. There are many
        variants to chose from. This is where epigenetics come into play.
        > Genes are segments of DNA carried on chromosomes. Mutation will affect
        their expression.
        > Anna

        came on the scene, that gene that the allele is one or more variation
        of, was - possibly - wholly new.

        > al·lele/əˈlçl/
        > Noun: One of two or more alternative forms of a gene that arise by
        mutation and are found at the same place on a chromosome.

        <snip>