Precisely organized cortical microcircuits

  • Ian Pitchford
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 3, 2001
      Science
      Volume 293, Number 5531, Issue of 3 Aug 2001, pp. 868-872.
      http://www.sciencemag.org/cgi/content/abstract/293/5531/868

      Stereotyped Position of Local Synaptic Targets in Neocortex
      James Kozloski,* Farid Hamzei-Sichani, Rafael Yuste

      The microcircuitry of the mammalian neocortex remains largely unknown. Although
      the neocortex could be composed of scores of precise circuits, an alternative
      possibility is that local connectivity is probabilistic or even random. To
      examine the precision and degree of determinism in the neocortical
      microcircuitry, we used optical probing to reconstruct microcircuits in layer 5
      from mouse primary visual cortex. We stimulated "trigger" cells, isolated from
      a homogenous population of corticotectal pyramidal neurons, while optically
      detecting "follower" neurons directly driven by the triggers. Followers
      belonged to a few selective anatomical classes with stereotyped physiological
      and synaptic responses. Moreover, even the position of the followers appeared
      determined across animals. Our data reveal precisely organized cortical
      microcircuits.

      Department of Biological Sciences, Columbia University, New York, NY 10027,
      USA.
      * To whom correspondence should be addressed. E-mail:
      jkjames@...

      Full text, pay per view:
      http://www.sciencemag.org/cgi/content/full/293/5531/868