Neanderthals weren't human, say scientists

  • Ian Pitchford
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 1, 2001
      Neanderthals weren't human, say scientists

      New research suggests Ice-age Neanderthals were not our close relatives but a
      completely different species.

      Until now many experts had believed Neanderthals, who co-existed with the
      ancestors of modern humans 40,000 years ago, were a sub-species of Homo
      sapiens.

      The new research at the University of Zurich is based on an analysis of infant
      Neanderthal and modern human skulls.

      Their skulls were bulkier and had distinctive features including a projecting
      face, heavy brows and a low forehead.

      Now computerised fossil reconstruction has shown these features were
      established in early infancy, possibly even in the womb, rather than gradually
      over time.

      The scientists write that such differences between Neanderthals and modern
      humans during early development are consistent with "separation of Neanderthals
      and modern humans at the species level".

      The evidence suggests the ancestors of modern humans emigrated from Africa
      about 100,000 years ago.

      Neanderthals probably lived alongside humans but died out because they were
      less adaptable to the changing climate.
      http://www.ananova.com/news/story/sm_365081.html?menu=news.scienceanddiscovery