Re: " Richard Dawkins, Edward O. Wilson, and the Consensus of the Many "

  • Don Zimmerman
    Message 1 of 293 , Jun 1, 2012
      --- In evolutionary-psychology@yahoogroups.com, "Maarten" <m.aalberse@...> wrote:

      > Where I possibly disagree with both of you, or at least with you, Jim,
      > is that I'm convinced that many changes in behavioral patterns
      > transmitted to the next generation are reinforced / extinguished by
      > operant learning, and this especially in human animals. The older
      > generation reinforcing / selectively shaping (especially) / ignoring /
      > blocking (a better term than "punishing", IMO) in the next generation
      > behavioral patterns they have learned earlier on from their parents/
      > social group.
      > This is not to discard (epi)genetic transmission, btu to highlight that
      > without operant learning many behavioral tendencies wouldn't "last long"
      > in the next generation.

      DWZ:
      Yes, that is important! The possibility of transmission of traits through early learning probably is not sufficiently recognized. A learning process may in many cases be hidden and not easily recorded and studied, and may be relatively quick so that even observers who are paying close attention to what is happening may not be aware of it.

      Best regards,

      Donald W. Zimmerman
      Vancouver, BC, Canada
      dwzimm@...
      http://www3.telus.net/public/a7a82899
    • artemistroy
      Message 293 of 293 , Jun 24, 2012
        Sonny, is this your idea of commentary or critique of the study? Very disappointing.

        Artemis

        --- In evolutionary-psychology@yahoogroups.com, "clarence_sonny_williams" <clarencew@...> wrote:

        > Maarten,
        >
        > What revelations are made in Kohl's reference? Genes have a role in
        > intelligence, however measured? Gee, what a revelation.

        <snip>