RE: [evol-psych] Rape of males etc

  • Cynthia Sears
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 2, 2001
      A friend of my husband's is currently in prison. I was talking with him on
      the phone a few weeks ago about male rape in prison, simply out of
      curiosity, and he asserted that it's not really a sexual act. He told me
      that in prison, you must always trade, and if anyone gives you something for
      free they will always ask for a favor in return. If you have nothing,
      somewhat like indentured servitude, you must give your body. He likened the
      situation to pack animals like wolves or dogs, that the act of male rape in
      that context is an act of dominance, and a show to the other animals that
      you are dominant and so on.

      He also mentioned that the dominant prisoner also gave the victim a certain
      measure of "protection" from being victimized by other inmates. Again, not
      mainly for sexual gratification.

      Personally, I think the male-male rape dynamic is an entirely different