How pre-life chemicals may have become biologically significant

  • Ian Pitchford
    Message 1 of 1 , May 31, 2001
      FEATURES, IDEAS
      How pre-life chemicals may have become biologically significant
      By Robert C. Cowen
      Special to The Christian Science Monitor

      Please take a few minutes to complete our survey so that we can more
      effectively meet your needs.

      Chemists studying the rise of life on earth have penetrated a little deeper
      into its mystery. Research reported earlier this month shows how a common
      mineral could have sorted some of life's precursor chemicals into biologically
      significant groups. Other recent experiments demonstrate how the earliest life
      forms might have reproduced themselves without the help of DNA or proteins, two
      ingredients thought to be essential in the evolution of life.

      Molecular chemist David Bartel notes that "we will never be able to prove" how
      primordial life actually worked "because we can't go back in time." But
      scientists can do the next best thing. They can study the basic properties of
      relevant biological chemicals and "see if these are compatible" with the
      scenarios scientists invent, he says.

      Full text:
      http://www.csmonitor.com/durable/2001/05/31/p14s2.htm