Babies not crawling

  • Mary Soderstrom
    Message 1 of 1 , May 1, 2001
      Re: NEW YORK TIMES
      April 29, 2001

      "Pediatricians are seeing more babies who never crawl, going directly from
      sitting to toddling. Researchers say this may be a real change in infant
      development."

      Far more likely is the concerted campaign to put babies to sleep on their
      backs and not on their sides or stomaches. The impetus behind the campaign
      is to fight sudden infant death syndrome, which appparently has been been
      successful although I do not have figures on decreases in mortality.

      A tiny baby put to sleep on her stomach will try to lift her head when she
      wakes up, which strengthens muscles used in crawling. It is not a very big
      step (no pun intended) to wiggling around, and then to crawling. But when
      babies are put to sleep on the stomach they have to learn how to roll
      before they can even get in position to crawl. Since many are barricaded
      with rolled towels to keep them on their backs, this further inhibits what
      has been a usual path toward crawling.

      Does this matter? I have no idea, although when my own kids were tiny 20
      and more years ago there was much talk about how crawling was essential for
      normal development of the brain. Anyone doing any studies.

      Cheers

      Mary

      Mary Soderstrom
      http://www.geocities.com/marysoderstrom/