Re: Paper: An earlier origin for the Acheulian

  • artemistroy
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 31, 2011
      It suggests to me that the groups that left Africa were the descendents of Eurasians that may have brought their technologies with them to Africa. -- Artemis

      Moreover, co-occurrence of Oldowan and Acheulian artefacts at the Kokiselei site complex indicates that the two technologies are not mutually exclusive time-successive components of an evolving cultural lineage,

      and suggests that the Acheulian was either imported from another location yet to be identified

      or originated from Oldowan hominins at this vicinity. In either case, the Acheulian did not accompany the first human dispersal from Africa despite being available at the time.

      * This may indicate that multiple groups of hominins distinguished by separate stone-tool-making behaviours and dispersal strategies coexisted in Africa at 1.76Myr ago.