- He wouldn t have to call on or draw attention to such an issue. It would be national news just like Duke University. Exquisite Corpse 77 Chance Favors TheMessage 1 of 12 , Apr 1, 2011View Source
He wouldn't have to call on or draw attention to such an issue. It would be national news just like Duke University.
Exquisite Corpse 77
Chance Favors The Prepared Mind~ L Pasteur
--- On Fri, 4/1/11, hibbsa <hibbsa@...> wrote:
From: hibbsa <hibbsa@...>
Subject: [evol-psych] Re: New York Times editor confesses (sorta) to censoring information about black crime.
To: "Evolutionary-Psychology" <firstname.lastname@example.org>
Date: Friday, April 1, 2011, 4:47 PM--- In email@example.com, "Don Zimmerman"
> --- In firstname.lastname@example.org, R A Fonda rafonda@
> > New York Times editor confesses to censoring information about
> > black crime.
> > A while back the Los Angeles Times publicly admitted to censoring
> > race of crime perpetrators when they are black or Latino "so as not
> > stigmatize any one group."
> > Now Philip Corbett, associate managing editor of the New York Times,
> > publicly admitted to doing the same thing.
> I see nothing wrong with "race" being reported along with other crime
statistics in academic publications by psychologists and sociologists
looking for correlations between one thing and another. However, there
is no more reason for a daily newspaper to report whether a drive-by
shooter or a bank robber is black or white or blue, any more than there
is to report the color of their hair or the size of their britches. That
is just grist for the mill of members of the public who would like to
pretend that blacks commit crimes because they are born criminals.
> Granted, though, that lots of things are done or not done because they
are "politically correct" rather than sensible. At one time in history
in the U.S. South and elsewhere, gang rapes of black women by white men
were hushed up.
and if this was happening Don, would you be arguing that the race of the
various sides was not important, or would you be arguing that the
whiteness of the perpetrators and the blackness of the victim were
relevant news the public needed to hear about?
> Best regards,
> Donald W. Zimmerman
> Vancouver, BC, Canada
- ... DWZ: As far as an individual news report in the present day, I don t see that the race of either the perpetrators of a gang rape or of the victim hasMessage 2 of 12 , Apr 1, 2011View Source--- In email@example.com, hibbsa <hibbsa@...> wrote:
> and if this was happening Don, would you be arguing that the race of theDWZ:
> various sides was not important, or would you be arguing that the
> whiteness of the perpetrators and the blackness of the victim were
> relevant news the public needed to hear about?
As far as an individual news report in the present day, I don't see that the "race" of either the perpetrators of a gang rape or of the victim has much importance. Other issues, such as the reason it happened, the part of the city where it took place, how well the police patrol the streets, whether or not the police take it seriously, and such, are of greater concern. Then again if a news article happened to mention "race," it probably would not be the end of the world, apart from the possibility of feeding into the perceptions of bigots, black or white, as I said before. I would not fire the editor for a slip-up!
Donald W. Zimmerman
Vancouver, BC, Canada
- ... From: ED To: firstname.lastname@example.org Sent: Saturday, April 02, 2011 7:46 AM Subject: [evol-psych] Re: New York Times editor confessesMessage 3 of 12 , Apr 1, 2011View Source----- Original Message -----From: EDSent: Saturday, April 02, 2011 7:46 AMSubject: [evol-psych] Re: New York Times editor confesses (sorta) to censoring information about black crime.
There may be double standards, yes, by liberal sources. And I get the impression that the right and Murdoch's many media outlets and the Tea Party are even more strongly biased in the reverse direction.
Of course we should fight double standards when we can. But many natives in the European territories in Asia and Africa chose to keep their mouths shut about the explotive activities of their masters, or else lose risking their jobs and having their families starve. But WWII in the Pacific emancipated their minds and bodies from their serfdom.
Double standards are in the nature of individuals and groups, and are a natural and normal mind-set in the Darwinian struggle.
Therefore double standards are never going to go away if they are legal, or are illegal but nearly impossible to prove, or you do not possess the power to stamp out the double standards that you think might affect yourself and the groups you identify with negatively.
With no apparent leader and Sarah Palin as a spokesperson I think we can rule out any link to Boston, so it must be the Mad Hatter's Tea Party that is adding that crimson sheen to the red of the reddest red necks.
Robert Karl Stonjek
- Imagine the police trying to apprehend a criminal or suspect if they did not have a description which would include race/ethnicity. The public needs aMessage 4 of 12 , Apr 1, 2011View SourceImagine the police trying to apprehend a criminal or suspect if they did not have a description which would include race/ethnicity. The public needs a description also for protection and to report a tip. All the information anyone needs to know about criminals is available at the Department of Justice and FBI web sites. There was a gag order placed on this case because of racial tensions.
--- In email@example.com, "ED" <seacrofter001@...> wrote:
> "Relevance" has little to do with it. In any society or country there
> are topics that may *not* be mentioned. For instance an Israeli wrter,
> Uri Avnery, may utter the truths below, but *not* an American writer:
> "After months of a tough and bitter race, a merciless struggle, Barack
> Obama has defeated his formidable opponent, Hillary Clinton. He has
> wrought a miracle: for the first time in history a black person has
> become a credible candidate for the presidency of the most powerful
> country in the world.
> "And what was the first thing he did after his astounding victory? He
> ran to the conference of the Israel lobby, AIPAC, and made a speech that
> broke all records for obsequiousness and fawning.
> That is shocking enough. Even more shocking is the fact that nobody was
> IT WAS a triumphalist conference. Even this powerful organization had
> never seen anything like it. 7000 Jewish functionaries from all over the
> United States came together to accept the obeisance of the entire
> Washington elite, which came to kowtow at their feet. All the three
> presidential hopefuls made speeches, trying to outdo each other in
> flattery. 300 Senators and Members of Congress crowded the hallways.
> Everybody who wants to be elected or reelected to any office, indeed
> everybody who has any political ambitions at all, came to see and be
> The Washington of AIPAC is like the Constantinople of the Byzantine
> emperors in its heyday.
> The world looked on and was filled with wonderment. The Israeli media
> were ecstatic. In all the world's capitals the events were followed
> closely and conclusions were drawn. All the Arab media reported on them
> extensively. Aljazeera devoted an hour to a discussion of the
> The most extreme conclusions of professors John Mearsheimer and Stephen
> Walt were confirmed in their entirety. On the eve of their visit to
> Israel, this coming Thursday, the Israel Lobby stood at the center of
> political life in the US and the world at large.
> WHY, ACTUALLY? Why do the candidates for the American presidency believe
> that the Israel lobby is so absolutely essential to their being
> --- In firstname.lastname@example.org, hibbsa <hibbsa@>
- If you want to keep up with reporting on criminals, you have to follow the regional and local media. The major media cannot cover them all. The regional andMessage 5 of 12 , Apr 1, 2011View SourceIf you want to keep up with reporting on criminals, you have to follow the regional and local media. The major media cannot cover them all. The regional and local media sources generally report the race/ethnicity, particularly if the criminal is at large.
--- In email@example.com, R A Fonda <rafonda@...> wrote:
> On 4/1/2011 3:47 PM, hibbsa wrote:
> > and if this was happening Don, would you be arguing that the race of
> > the various sides was not important, or would you be arguing that the
> > whiteness of the perpetrators and the blackness of the victim were
> > relevant news the public needed to hear about?
> And no matter what Don would do, the media has an egregious double
> standard in these cases. Look at the way they beat their breasts and
> tore their hair over the Duke lacrosse-team 'rapists' who were
> persecuted outrageously, only to be found innocent because their
> families could afford a prolonged legal fight that revealed the state's
> prosecuting attorney suppressed evidence that made it obvious those
> students were innocent. Compare that to the way the media 'hushed-up'
> the black-on-white atrocities in Nashville or Wichita and too many other