Re: [evol-psych] Re: New York Times editor confesses (sorta) to censoring information about black crime.

  • devilboy6x9@yahoo.com
    Message 1 of 12 , Apr 1, 2011
      He wouldn't have to call on or draw attention to such an issue. It would be national news just like Duke University.

      Exquisite Corpse 77
      Chance Favors The Prepared Mind~ L Pasteur

      Message 2 of 12 , Apr 1, 2011
        --- In evolutionary-psychology@yahoogroups.com, hibbsa <hibbsa@...> wrote:

        > and if this was happening Don, would you be arguing that the race of the
        > various sides was not important, or would you be arguing that the
        > whiteness of the perpetrators and the blackness of the victim were
        > relevant news the public needed to hear about?

        DWZ:
        As far as an individual news report in the present day, I don't see that the "race" of either the perpetrators of a gang rape or of the victim has much importance. Other issues, such as the reason it happened, the part of the city where it took place, how well the police patrol the streets, whether or not the police take it seriously, and such, are of greater concern. Then again if a news article happened to mention "race," it probably would not be the end of the world, apart from the possibility of feeding into the perceptions of bigots, black or white, as I said before. I would not fire the editor for a slip-up!

        Best regards,

        Donald W. Zimmerman
        Vancouver, BC, Canada
        dwzimm@...
        http://mypage.direct.ca/z/zimmerma/index.html
      • Robert Karl Stonjek
        Message 3 of 12 , Apr 1, 2011
          Message 4 of 12 , Apr 1, 2011
            Imagine the police trying to apprehend a criminal or suspect if they did not have a description which would include race/ethnicity. The public needs a description also for protection and to report a tip. All the information anyone needs to know about criminals is available at the Department of Justice and FBI web sites. There was a gag order placed on this case because of racial tensions.

            Artemis

            --- In evolutionary-psychology@yahoogroups.com, "ED" <seacrofter001@...> wrote:

            > "Relevance" has little to do with it. In any society or country there
            > are topics that may *not* be mentioned. For instance an Israeli wrter,
            > Uri Avnery, may utter the truths below, but *not* an American writer:
            >
            > "After months of a tough and bitter race, a merciless struggle, Barack
            > Obama has defeated his formidable opponent, Hillary Clinton. He has
            > wrought a miracle: for the first time in history a black person has
            > become a credible candidate for the presidency of the most powerful
            > country in the world.
            >
            > "And what was the first thing he did after his astounding victory? He
            > ran to the conference of the Israel lobby, AIPAC, and made a speech that
            > broke all records for obsequiousness and fawning.
            >
            > That is shocking enough. Even more shocking is the fact that nobody was
            > shocked.
            >
            > IT WAS a triumphalist conference. Even this powerful organization had
            > never seen anything like it. 7000 Jewish functionaries from all over the
            > United States came together to accept the obeisance of the entire
            > Washington elite, which came to kowtow at their feet. All the three
            > presidential hopefuls made speeches, trying to outdo each other in
            > flattery. 300 Senators and Members of Congress crowded the hallways.
            > Everybody who wants to be elected or reelected to any office, indeed
            > everybody who has any political ambitions at all, came to see and be
            > seen.
            >
            > The Washington of AIPAC is like the Constantinople of the Byzantine
            > emperors in its heyday.
            >
            > The world looked on and was filled with wonderment. The Israeli media
            > were ecstatic. In all the world's capitals the events were followed
            > closely and conclusions were drawn. All the Arab media reported on them
            > extensively. Aljazeera devoted an hour to a discussion of the
            > phenomenon.
            >
            > The most extreme conclusions of professors John Mearsheimer and Stephen
            > Walt were confirmed in their entirety. On the eve of their visit to
            > Israel, this coming Thursday, the Israel Lobby stood at the center of
            > political life in the US and the world at large.
            >
            > WHY, ACTUALLY? Why do the candidates for the American presidency believe
            > that the Israel lobby is so absolutely essential to their being
            > elected?"
            >
            > http://www.counterpunch.org/avnery06092008.html
            > <http://www.counterpunch.org/avnery06092008.html>
            >
            > --- In evolutionary-psychology@yahoogroups.com, hibbsa <hibbsa@>
            > wrote:

            <Snip>
          • artemistroy
            Message 5 of 12 , Apr 1, 2011
              If you want to keep up with reporting on criminals, you have to follow the regional and local media. The major media cannot cover them all. The regional and local media sources generally report the race/ethnicity, particularly if the criminal is at large.

              Artemis