Re: [evol-psych] franklin-- philosophy, math and global warming

  • mark hubey
    Message 1 of 10 , Mar 31, 2011
      On Thu, Mar 31, 2011 at 1:06 PM, Martin Swain <martin.swain@...> wrote:

      Hi Mark,

        Regarding whether CO2 levels alone are causing anything, I think it's a pretty good bet they aren't. We should know and understand by now that
      ecosystems are more complex than that, such that any effect on a global scale probably can't be attributed to a single cause.

      I suspect we are missing many things. For example CO2 is heavier than both water vapor H2O, and oxygen O2. Ditto for nitrogen N2. Methane CH4 is also light. So it seems CO2 should be hanging around at ground level, and indeed dry ice is used to create that smoky mist hanging at ground level.
      Maybe we will just get more plant growth. I am sure when complete simulation models are built of the complete ecosystem we will have better results. There seems to be no independent way of measuring temperature over the earth except by these devices that are in place now. For example, I can check my phone for temperature around where I live and I know that Fort Lee was built up over the last 100 years or so. There is constant George Washington bridge traffic with about 4 highways converging in. That has to have some affect of some kind.

      Regards,

      Martin Swain

      Mark Hubey

      "If it can't be expressed in figures, it is not science; it is opinion." — Robert Heinlein--Spoken by character Lazarus Long in Time Enough for Love (1973). In Leon E. Stover, Heinlein (1987)

    • yanniru
      Message 2 of 10 , Apr 1, 2011
        In spite of the heaviness of CO2 compared to H2O,
        according to the USAF Geophysical Lab data,
        the atm scale ht for CO2 is 7 Km,
        and for water vapor is 2 Km.