Biological Theories of Race at the Millennium

  • Ian Pitchford
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 1, 2001
      I've just received a copy of the following title, which should be on general release in the US and UK shortly:

      The Emperor's New Clothes: Biological Theories of Race at the Millennium
      by Joseph L Graves Jr
      This item will be published in February 2001. You may order it now and we will ship it to you when it arrives.
      Hardcover - 272 pages (February 2001)
      Rutgers Univ Press; ISBN: 081352847X
      AMAZON - US
      http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/081352847X/darwinanddarwini
      AMAZON - UK
      http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/081352847X/humannaturecom

      Intellectually delightful, and at times deeply moving, this book's fundamental thesis is of outstanding importance. The biological
      non-existence of race is one of the most liberating messages that the American public will hear in a long time. It should be read by
      anybody who is a registered voter in the United States."-Michael R. Rose, author of Darwin's Spectre: Evolutionary Biology in the
      Modern World

      "The Emperor's New Clothes provides a lucid and stimulating history of the uses and, mostly, abuses of the cultural and biological
      constructions of the concept of race. Professor Graves insightfully demonstrates that race classifications cannot be biologically
      justified. His book is eminently readable and engrossing."-Francisco J. Ayala, Donald Bren Professor of Biological Sciences and
      professor of philosophy, University of California, Irvine

      "The simple fact, as will be demonstrated in this book, is that science identifies no races in the human species, not because we
      wish there to be no races but because the peculiar evolutionary history of our species has not led to their formation. There is more
      genetic variability in one tribe of East African chimpanzees than in the entire human species! Only political orthodoxy in a
      racially stratified society has maintained the race concept for this long. If race does not exist at the biological level, then its
      use in social and political policy is profoundly flawed."-From The Emperor's New Clothes: Biological Theories of Race at the
      Millennium

      In this groundbreaking book, Joseph Graves traces the development of thought about human genetic diversity. He argues that racism
      has persisted in our society because adequate scientific reasoning has not entered into the equation. Graves champions the
      scientific method, and explains how we may properly ask questions about the nature of population differentiation and how (if at all)
      we may correlate that diversity to differences in human capacity and behavior. He also cautions us to think critically about
      scientific findings that have historically been misused in controversies over racial differences in intelligence heritability,
      criminal behavior, disease predisposition, and other traits. Greek philosophy, social Darwinism, New World colonialism, the eugenics
      movement, intelligence testing biases, and racial health fallacies are just a few of the topics he addresses.

      According to Graves, this country cannot truly address its racial problems until people understand that separate human races do not
      exist empirically. With the biological basis for race removed, racism becomes an ideology, one that can and must be expunged.

      Joseph L. Graves Jr. is a professor of evolutionary biology with appointments in the Department of Life Sciences at Arizona State
      University West and in the program of African American Studies at Arizona State University

      _________

      In this book Joseph L. Graves Jr traces the development of biological thought about human genetic diversity. Greek philosophy,
      social Darwinism, New World colonialism, the eugenics movement, intelligence testing biases and racial health fallacies are just a
      few of the topics he addresses. Graves argues that racism has persisted in our society because adequate scientific reasoning has not
      entered into the equation. He champions the scientific method and explains how we may properly ask scientific questions about the
      nature of population differentiation and how (if at all) we may correlate that diversity to observed human behaviour. He also
      cautions us to think critically about scientific findings that have historically been misused in controversies over racial
      differences in intelligence heritability, criminal behaviour, disease predisposition and other traits. According to Graves, this
      country cannot truly address its racial problems until people understand the empirical evidence behind this truth that separate
      human races do not exist. With the biological basis for race removed, racism becomes an ideology, one that can and must be deleted.

      JOSEPH L. GRAVES, Jr.
      Professor of Evolutionary Biology
      Arizona State University West
      Ph.D., 1988, Wayne State University
      http://www.west.asu.edu/iejlg/
      joe.graves@...
    • Ken Moore
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 1, 2001
        In message <003f01c0a247$8e2a79e0$910d883e@pc>, you quote from

        >The Emperor's New Clothes: Biological Theories of Race at the Millennium
        >by Joseph L Graves Jr

        >Only political orthodoxy in a
        >racially stratified society has maintained the race concept for this long.

        Both observation and reported incident lead me to believe that the race
        concept is strongly supported by Man's inherent xenophobia and to
        suspect that it would persist even if political orthodoxy were opposed
        to it. Is anyone working on the evolutionary reasons for xenophobia?
        It must have given substantial benefits at some time in the past.

        > If
        >race does not exist at the biological level, then its
        >use in social and political policy is profoundly flawed."

        Why the conditional? The undefinability and biological undetectability
        of race is one of those things that I have known so long that I forget
        how I learnt it.

        --
        Ken Moore
        ken@...
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 1, 2001
          --On Thursday, March 01, 2001, 4:11 PM +0000 Ken Moore
          <ken@...> wrote:

          > In message <003f01c0a247$8e2a79e0$910d883e@pc>, you quote from
          >
          >> The Emperor's New Clothes: Biological Theories of Race at the Millennium
          >> by Joseph L Graves Jr
          >
          >> Only political orthodoxy in a
          >> racially stratified society has maintained the race concept for this
          >> long.
          >
          > Both observation and reported incident lead me to believe that the race
          > concept is strongly supported by Man's inherent xenophobia and to
          > suspect that it would persist even if political orthodoxy were opposed
          > to it. Is anyone working on the evolutionary reasons for xenophobia?

          Look at:
          V. Reynolds, V. Folger, and I. Vine, ed.
          1987 The Sociobiology of Ethnocentrism: Evolutionary Dimensions of
          Xenophobia, Discrimination, Racism and Nationalism, London: Croom Helm.
          Krebs, D. L. and K. Denton
          1997 Social Illusions and Self-Deception: The Evolution of Biases in
          Person Perception. In Evolutionary Social Psychology, J. A. Simpson and
          D. T. Kenrick, ed. Pp. 21- 48. Mahwah NJ: Lawrence Erlbaum.

          Ian Jobling
        • Irwin Silverman
          Message 4 of 4 , Mar 2, 2001
            On Thu, 1 Mar 2001, Ken Moore wrote:

            > ... The undefinability and biological undetectability
            > of race is one of those things that I have known so long that I forget
            > how I learnt it.

            Is it not so that the phenotypic criteria used to define race
            are no more or less precise than the phenotypic criteria used to define
            sub-species taxa throughout the animal world.
            I am not pretending to have general answers to the potential
            social and political problems inherent in an evolutionary and
            ethological approach to human behavior. I do think it is better to
            confront these head-on rather than indulge in the kinds of semantic
            games played by Rose and company.