News: Psychologist quits over jail affair with inmate Mark Cougan

  • Robert Karl Stonjek
    Message 1 of 3 , May 31, 2010

      Psychologist quits over jail affair with inmate Mark Cougan

      PrisonA prison psychologist has resigned after falling in love with a convicted armed robber / AAP Source: AAP

      A PRISON psychologist has given up her career for love after becoming the latest from her profession to fall for convicted armed robber Mark Cougan.

      Authorities became concerned at the apparent attraction between the 41-year-old offender - who is serving 28 years' jail for robbery, conspiracy and perjury - and Krishna Duangpatra during their counselling sessions at Wolston Correctional Centre.

      Ms Duangpatra has resigned from her job at Wolston and withdrawn her registration as a psychologist to avoid disciplinary action by the Psychologists Board of Queensland.

      She is now employed as a counsellor with youth services charity Boystown, and is unable to even visit her love in prison because of her detailed knowledge of the jail.

      A Corrective Services spokesman said the pair could correspond through letters which would be screened, as a matter of routine, by the prison.

      Cougan, whose criminal history dates back to 1984, is not due for release until May 8, 2018.

      A love letter from another female psychologist was found in Cougan's cell at another correctional centre in 1997. At the time, Cougan was moved to another prison and the psychologist resigned.

      Prison sources said Cougan was flagged within Wolston to be watched with women staff members because of his history.

      "This inmate is highly manipulative and develops a somewhat false charm that these psychologists, of all people, fall for," said the source.

      The Corrective Services spokesman said all allegations of inappropriate relationships were immediately referred to the Ethical Standards Branch for investigation.

      "(That) may result in dismissal or other disciplinary measures," he said.

      "All staff are bound by a code of conduct and are expected to maintain professional standards."

      In 2004, psychologist Susan Robinson was found to have breached ethical guidelines for starting a sexual relationship with a former prisoner she had treated at Arthur Gorrie Correctional Centre in 1999.

      The Health Practitioners Tribunal heard convicted robber Mark Nolan moved in with Ms Robinson after his release in 2000.

      The psychologists' code of ethics states a minimum of two years must pass before a relationship can begin between a practitioner and patient.

      Ms Robinson was suspended from practising for six months.

      Despite repeated attempts by The Courier-Mail, Ms Duangpatra could not be contacted.

      Source: http://www.news.com.au/national/psychologist-quits-over-jail-affair-with-inmate-mark-cougan/story-e6frfkvr-1225873786688

      Posted by
      Robert Karl Stonjek

    • Steve Moxon
      Message 2 of 3 , May 31, 2010
        Well, these female prison psychologists sure are sexually selecting a long-term partner for 'reliability' here: the guy's stuck fast long-term in a prison cell, so no philandering there then ... except with other female prison psychologists, apparently. My, they really do rely on each other to suss guys out, don't they?
        How extremely 'manipulative' of him! That's some "false charm" that he can serially hook in the prison psychologists themselves and get them to chuck in their jobs for the promise of rather far away blissful union.
        I guess there's no such thing as 'genuine' charm if it's by us guys.
        I note absolutely no incentive to us males to be good boys: I think I'll just stay bad, meself. In fact I might invent my own criminal history. Let's see, was I doling anything I could twist to be really dodgy back from 1984? What were his offences again? Ah, armed robbery. Anyone who knows of unsolved armed robberies in the UK, please drop me a line.

        Steve Moxon [author of the book, The Woman Racket: The new science explaining how the sexes relate at work, at play and in society, 2008 Imprint Academic; and 'Dominance as adaptive stressing and ranking of males, serving to allocate reproduction by self-suppressed fertility: Towards a fully biological understanding of social system', 2009 Medical Hypotheses; and 'Culture is biology: Why we cannot 'transcend' our genes', 2010 Politics & Culture.]