Re: [evol-psych] Geertz' fallacy

  • Donald H. McBurney
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 31, 2001
      A note on Geertz's Fallacy: This has gone by the name of the fagot theory in
      parapsychology. A fagot (or faggot) is a bundle of sticks. Each stick
      represents some piece of evidence for a proposition, such as "ESP exists."
      Individually, each stick has a weakness, but together the fagot cannot be
      broken. Although all scientists use this approach to some extent (the
      principle of the "preponderance of evidence," I suspect is basically the same
      idea) it has an obvious flaw: a lot of bad evidence adds up to bad evidence.

      Don
      Donald McBurney
      University of Pittsburgh